Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay Cut & Now Redundancy Threat

Options
  • 23-11-2009 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Posted on askaboutmoney also tho no replies.

Reg Boards User but going anon for this.

I have worked in my job for just over 4 years.

Its just me,co worker and our employer.

In April we both took a pay cut of €100(20%) but our hours were also cut. We took this cut despite, in our opinions the -business had not gone downhill or llost money. Obviously our employer didn't show their financial records to back up the claims that profits were down.

We were told today that unless business picks up by end of year one of us will be made redundant. Once again business is not down in our opinions and cannot figure out how boss can do this.

Girl I work with is due to go on Maternity Leave in 4 weeks time and I have worked there a little longer than her and have just booked wedding for next year due to the fact that our job is constantly busy and in demand.

We are adamant that nothing has changed from the business side of things but in bosses personal life things have which would contribute to a huge difference in outgoings.

Get the impression we are being threatened with taking a hit on our wages/jobs again so bosses salary stays the same despite bigger outgoings in personal life.

Is there anything we can do about this?

Feel like there's a gun to my head and am feeling so stressed that my job could be gone by December esp when I know business is still doing well.

Cant stop crying when I think about it.

Any advice would be a great help.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Not really no; if they declare one of your positions are redundant and don't hire any one else it then it does not matter if the business is running perfectly or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As Nody says, if your employer choses to make one of the positions redundant and keeps the staff count down there's not a whole lot the affected party be able to do about it. From reading what you posted, and assuming that there is no maternity pay agreement in your contracts, I'd say that the most likely outcome in the short-term is that your employer will choose not to replace your colleague while she is on maternity leave and leave you doing all the work. If this happens you should argue that you'll need to be on full-time hours and full-time pay again.

In the longer term I'd suggest that you should really be looking for a new job. I know it's not the ideal time to be looking for one but there are still jobs available out there. Without knowing more about the business it's hard to comment on it's future but there is a possibility that the owner is running it into the ground and that it could go bust. The statutory redundancy payments that you'll receive should you hang around for that won't be all that much so I'd suggest that you start seriously considering your options now rather than after it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for advice.

If it is impossible for one person to do the work can a position still be made redundant?

It is vital for the business that one person is there full time but boss has said himself before that we will always need someone part time to cover admin also.

I'm just going to sit tight and wait and see what happens.

We have no contract,working time act or anything signed. Have received one payslip in 4 years so I am getting worried.

Advertisement