Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training at different gyms.

Options
  • 23-11-2009 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Hey all.
    Recently in preparation for fights i have went to the Chum Sut Acadamy with Martin Begley and Kevin Carney to get some extra training tips and sparring with fresh people.This has been a great experience for us and hopefully the guys like Chris Stringer and Ali MacClean have enjoyed it too.
    Now in the past i have got the vibe from certain clubs that this kind of thing is frowned upon but when i called Thomas Lamont he was more than welcoming towards us.
    Basically i would like to know other peoples opinions on this sort of thing. Is is ok for a fighter to move around various gyms to train but still represent his "home" club? And i dont mean clubs that are affiliated with each other they dont count.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

I have trained at other gyms and would and do allow our guys to train elsewhere.

For example if one of our lads can go and box with a great boxer at a club down the road it can only help him.

I think if the better guys in the country or area can work together it helps them improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭wingnut4

I've noticed that alot of clubs dont like you going to another club if your doing MMA and going to another club to do MMA too. However I've noticed there has never been a problem with going elsewere for one discipline ie. boxing, thai, judo. Something that will help you with your MMA.

I do however think that at the start when your a beginner that going to different clubs is fine, I think you should be able to get the best out of what you can and then decide where you want to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Is is ok for a fighter to move around various gyms to train but still represent his "home" club?

The fighter pool is actually quite small in Ireland, especially at A class level. I think most guys prefer not to have to fight training partners/club mates or previous training partners if they can manage not to.

Having said that, the number of clubs around gets bigger and bigger every year. So newer, smaller clubs may struggle to find adequate training partners for fighters preparing for a fight. Probably not unusual for a guy to have only 2/3 regular training partners and these guys may be completely different size and style to the next opponent.

Let's just say some Irish WelterWeight was due to fight Amir Sadollah at the next UFC in Ireland. Surely that guy would love to spar with people like Clive Staunton and John Donnelly because these guys emulate his style and size very well. So I think in those cases people should make the effort to share.

But there is also the practical constraints. Nobody in Ireland is in a position to pay sparring partners expenses so you rely on the good will of your club to get you prepared. May not be easy to ring some guys from another club and ask them to come to your gym so you can bash them.

Advertisement