Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helmet recommendations?

Options
  • 23-11-2009 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

So I have a AGV K series and an AGV GP-TECH. K series is the reserve lid and I've just cracked my GP-TECH. I was running up a concrete stairs (as much as you can run in full gear) and slipped and helmet was in right hand and smacked off the edge of a step. I can now see a crack in the shell :mad:

So off to Hein Gericke in Newry on Thursday for a new lid. Anyone got recommendations? I'm planning another GP-TECH but am open to suggestions. I like the GP-TECH because even with a clear visor the ridge above the eye is so large that it blocks the winter sun for most of the day. Also it is very comfortable, very! A bad point for the GP-TECH is a weak ratchet on the visor which means the visor can fall or lift without warning.

I should say I'm only interested in full face lids and would need a SHARP score of 5 preferably.

GP-TECH sharp score: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/search/details/?id=158

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Can't recommend Shark RSR2 enough TBH, but they are pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

Some good deal on Shoei XR1000 online (GBP190.00) in the UK with the XR1100 just out now. Reviews are good but only scores 3 stars on the sharp test.

Seems to be mixed views on the sharp test so I went on reviews and information on the web.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

i never had any probs with nitro to be honest. Comfortable and keep sound out.
    Simpson look cool in my opinion but are useless for fit and keeping out the sound.
    Have an arai thats used by the guards and found it horrible. Look seanybiker up on youtube and see what i done with the arai. Ha ha. Was fun. Bit sore though. Video was on me phone so it kinda pauses just before the crack :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Caberg V2R with internal Visor. Class lid and the visor is a lifesaver in the mornings and evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭goodlad

I have a Caberg Rhino.

Its really comfortable and has the internal sun visor.

Its damn handy, its stopped me being blinded a few times already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

The Visor Shop has a sale on at the moment on lids, might be cheaper than HG. Check the prices online to see which suits the pocket better. You can easily call into them as well while you are in Newry.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Go for a good comfortable fit first, cos different makes fit different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Dorsanty wrote: »
    So I have a AGV K series and an AGV GP-TECH. K series is the reserve lid and I've just cracked my GP-TECH. I was running up a concrete stairs (as much as you can run in full gear) and slipped and helmet was in right hand and smacked off the edge of a step. I can now see a crack in the shell :mad:
    It is probably just the outer cosmetic shell that cracked. You can get lids x_rayed particularly the more up market models such a Arai etc. Heaps of people drop lids from bike saddles etc and don't bother replacing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Georgey Burgess

traco wrote: »
    Some good deal on Shoei XR1000 online (GBP190.00) in the UK with the XR1100 just out now. Reviews are good but only scores 3 stars on the sharp test.

Seems to be mixed views on the sharp test so I went on reviews and information on the web.

i've had an XR1000 for about 5 years now and love it. the pinlock anti-fog insert is excellent.

heading to the NEC on friday and hope to pick up the XR1100 which I beleive has some neat improvements including a much wider vision pinlock which was my one negative with the XR1000.

The XR1100 looks nice but when I was looking at lids and planning my shortlist I was looking at the Schuberth C3, quiet, flip and internal visor but funds took a hit with Christmas coming so cut the soend by 50%.

My new lid XR1000 arrived today so well please, pinlock and dark visor. Price €211.00 or so delivered to work pal in Belfast. Was there before he left to drive down today. :D

th_24112009035.jpgth_24112009034.jpg

• Advertisement

The XR1100 looks nice but when I was looking at lids and planning my shortlist I was looking at the Schuberth C3, quiet, flip and internal visor but funds took a hit with Christmas coming so cut the soend by 50%.

The new lid arrived today so well please, pinlock and dark visor. Price €211.00 or so delivered to work pal in Belfast. Was there before he left to drive down today. :D

th_24112009035.jpgth_24112009034.jpg

€211 delivered!!!! Thats an excellent price. Where did you get that? Any I saw were about £380 sterling with a design and about £100 cheaper for plain black

€211 delivered!!!! Thats an excellent price. Where did you get that? Any I saw were about £380 sterling with a design and about £100 cheaper for plain black

Just read my post not and I probaly wasn't clear (edited for clarity) - thats an XR1000 not the XR1100, GBP£190 at Top Gear Super Store. A few online shops have them discounted now

Just read my post not and I probaly wasn't clear (edited for clarity) - thats an XR1000 not the XR1100, GBP£190 at Top Gear Super Store. A few online shops have them discounted now

aha, still a good price though. i'll be paying a premium for the XR1100.

i might buy my other gear first and then get the lid with remaining funds, so i even get another XR1000 yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

It is probably just the outer cosmetic shell that cracked. You can get lids x_rayed particularly the more up market models such a Arai etc. Heaps of people drop lids from bike saddles etc and don't bother replacing them.
    Anywhere you can get this done over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

Simona1986 wrote: »
    one of the local hospitals here will do it wonce they considered its tooo much of a risk to take the lid off ya head in the first place lol just takin the piss here bud ,,,,,feic me i cant belive theres such a cheap service of xraying lids when a normal xray costs a lot more than your average or best lid in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Get a Caberg Trip, great lid. has internal sun visor, nice wide visor and the flip front. it did pretty well on the safety ratings as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I should say I'm only interested in full face lids and would need a SHARP score of 5 preferably.

I have to say the SHARP system is completely bogus. There is already and EU standard, and the SHARP system is just a jobs-for-the-uk-boys racket.

I'm not saying don't buy a good helmet, I'm just saying not having SHARP doesn't make it a bad one.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

RosieJoe wrote: »
    The Visor Shop has a sale on at the moment on lids, might be cheaper than HG. Check the prices online to see which suits the pocket better. You can easily call into them as well while you are in Newry.

or buy online, I ordered a Caberg V2r yesterday :-) although they are running low on stock for colours as there is a new range of Caberg Lids coming our in Jan. I've had a few Caberg lids at this stage and they are a really good helmet IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Simona1986 wrote: »

Ive seen it done in the North and Isle of Man but not here, may be worth googling. Wouldn't do it unless the lid was fresh and worth a few bob

Must look into it, I've at €375 lid that took a bang last week, better safe than sorry and not mad on forking out for a new lid...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

The ad for the XR1100 got my attention for sure. Might call up the Visor shop tomorrow and see if they have any in stock to test the fit.

Anyone been to the Visor shop before? Know how many minutes outside Newry it is?

Only other thing would be I'm already 50 euro invested into the GP-TECH since I have a dark visor for it too. Might make better financial sense to just stay put with that model for now.

Thanks all for the ideas so far.

The ad for the XR1100 got my attention for sure. Might call up the Visor shop tomorrow and see if they have any in stock to test the fit.

Anyone been to the Visor shop before? Know how many minutes outside Newry it is?

Only other thing would be I'm already 50 euro invested into the GP-TECH since I have a dark visor for it too. Might make better financial sense to just stay put with that model for now.

Thanks all for the ideas so far.

From center of Newry is about 10-12mins although with shoppers from the south you might want to add another bit. Tricky to find, I used the Sat nav the first time and thought I was being led on a wild goose chase but found it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Zarbon

Its just a helmet...I would suggest getting one with wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Zarbon wrote: »
    Its just a helmet...I would suggest getting one with wings.

Similarly, it's just my head.

Anyway the deal is done and the winner is the XR-1100. Used it coming back from Newry. Very comfortable and pinlock is very cool.

Edit: Oh and although Heine Gericke website only has the one grey XR-1100 they have 3 or 4 of the models. Got mine there.

Similarly, it's just my head.

Anyway the deal is done and the winner is the XR-1100. Used it coming back from Newry. Very comfortable and pinlock is very cool.

beautiful .... thats the style I've picked out. If they don't have that one I'll get the Conquista

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Go one of these last weekend - very impressed.

How do you fit the 'pinlock' thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I recommend Shark. Shark. Shark!

And the RSR2 if you can afoord it! AWESOME lid! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Wheeker

I'm a bit confused :(:Looking for a new helmet also. Popped into
    Crossans/The Visor Shop
    the other day looking for advice. I want: Top safety, Full-face, Gloss Black only, Pinlock/anti-mist visor, washable/removable liner & internal sun visor.

Was immediately told that internal sun visors are only found on "cheap & nasty" helmets & compromised the safety due to the gap where the visor retracts :confused: He told me as regards safety the best are Arai & then Shoei, other helmets being "well below" these brands. Recommended an Arai Chaser with special deal free pack including a spare tinted visor. I was pretty much sold, however they didn't have the Pearl Black in stock & wouldn't be available until Jan 2010 :(
    Caberg V2R with internal Visor. Class lid and the visor is a lifesaver in the mornings and evenings.

However, this got me thinking. I only commute in Dublin 20-25mins to/from work weekdays on my 250cc scooter & that's about it. I do want the best safety, but on these mornings the low sun is blinding & I'm starting to think an internal sun visor could well be a huge safety feature, in spite of the above advice. I think it would be a huge hassle to change visors every time a bit of sun comes out. What do you all think?

Sunglasses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

P.C. wrote: »
    Go one of these last weekend - very impressed.

How do you fit the 'pinlock' thing?

You need to take the visor off the helmet, ensure the white pins are in place, flatten out the visor as much as you (this is great fun!) and then put the pinlock visor in place.

Once you let go the pinlock visor is in place and should be air tight. Not too hard to do. See attachment fot how Pinlock suggest you do it

Advertisement