Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snowboard boots - what u recommend for improver??

Options
  • 23-11-2009 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I hate wearing ski or snowboard boots from the rental shop and i'm trying to get myself a pair of snowboard boots for 2010.

I'm a one week (hopefully more next year) :)season boarder. Have been boarding once and had quite a few lessons in Kilternan si I now have an idea of type of boot fitting I like.

Any recommendations on a decent boot for a wide foot? Would prefer a simple lace system, maybe like the boa, as I hate the big chunky tie ups.
    :confused:

Any recommendations?? Cheers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 35190

Meant to say I just ride pistes - no park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭COUCH WARRIOR

I got a pair of Burton Moto 4 years ago in Canada. I have a relatively wide foot, and have had no problems with the fit. Though I think that the Moto for 2009 may not have laces any more like mine have. Your looking for a Freeride style boot.

I would say that it's best to try on as many different boots as you can and go for the best fit vs going for a particular brand of boot, but hey what do I know ;). I think the following link has some good advice.

http://www.abc-of-snowboarding.com/buying-guide/buyingboots.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

think i might have had the same pair of burton motos - they fell apart on me though from excessive use so i cant complain too much!

during the weekend i poped into tkmaxx in waterford and they had around 7 pairs of DC boarding boots from 70-99euro!

since i dont need boots (currently have 32 lashed which i love) im spreading the word - they have last years boots (from what i noticed) but are still top notch. mostly using the BOA system instead of laces

really liked these!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Well if you are riding pistes you want something stiff,for park you will want something soft,boot stiffness/softness is rated 1-10,1 being soft and 10 being stiffest.
    I ride some park,but mainly all mountain,i have a pair of Burton Ion,they are rated at 8.
    Next thing you need to figure out is what size you are,i go 1 size smaller than my regular shoe size,why? Boots ''pack out'' when you try a 1 size smaller your bit toe should be squashed up against front of boot,it will take a few days for your feet to mold into the boot,but the will be so snug once you break them in.
    If you go for just a comfort fit in the shop,then after a week you will have heal lift and your toes will be getting pushed forward against front of boot.

Getting the right boot can take time and energy,it all comes down to how much riding you are doing,i'm doing full seasons 4-5 months riding a year,but if you just doing 1-2 weeks a year you can get away with a rent a boot setup.

Try on as many boots as possible as some have different widths also and that depends on your foot to fit the boot that way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Had Motos thought they were good until I got Thirty Two's Lashed for season in Canada last year - never buy another boot again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

I know nothing about snowboarding boots other then theres a pair I want in the Great Outdoors....I want them so much I'd consider changing to snowboarding...and theres only limited sizes left so there €69!!! You cant go wrong with that!!!

From personal experience with ski boots go and try on as many pairs as you need to to find the perfect fit...no one can tell you which will suit you perfectly only you yourself!!! (but professionals have a better idea then most of us)

hope you find what you want!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

for me theres ony one boot

fm_bts_kicker_wht.jpg

Forum Kicker Slr

there comfy theyve got a nice ballance of stiffness and give, they fit my feet perfectly and look like nice air max :cool:

haha there mad looking!!! lol

theres no pics of the ones i saw on the great outdoors website!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

that may be the case but ther ebloody comfy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 35190

Cheers for the advice so far... Tried the DC ones in tk max - not a bad fit.. they seem too cheap tho!!! think i'll try as many as I again without driving myself mad!!

• Advertisement

TK Maxx are always cheap...its last seasons gear or a style that didnt sell or unusual sizes for example:

TK Maxx in Stephens Green...two Spyder (make of ski gear) Jackets which retailed at €800 a piece...€150 each!!! Why??? Both sizes XXL...some one will get lucky!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

35190 wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice so far... Tried the DC ones in tk max - not a bad fit.. they seem too cheap tho!!! think i'll try as many as I again without driving myself mad!!

so wait.. you didnt buy them because they were too cheap? as in you assumed they were bad quality or something??

whats the world come to!

DC make savage boots, i know a load of people who use them. i was checking hte prices on the Judges i think in there, and theyre retail price is €480 and tkmaxx were selling them for €90. enough said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

35190 wrote: »

idiot.....

How about I buy them for 90 and ill sell them to you for 400 and give you a reciept you can show your friends and a non-tkmaxx bag

TK Maxx do last years style or ones that a trade shop only have a few sizes left in...not enough for any other shop to buy!!! Everything in TK Maxx is perfect quality just at much lower prices then you'd pay in 53 Degrees North, The North Face, Tog 24, the Great Outdoors or any designer shops for clothes!!! Go back and get them NOW!!! dont mind WHER you got them!!!!

I actually cant believe yoy didnt get them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kermitdfrog

Go get those boots in tk maxx!! I bought a pair of DC Boots from them last year, couldn't be happier. It's a known brand, quality boot, and cheap... What's not to like? As long as they have your size then the boots are enough of an all rounder to suit a beginner. Only thing that might be an issue is width, as you mentioned it before, so try on first. For everyone else-if you need boots go get them!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

think ill take a walk into tx maxx! didnt know they were stocking said gear. know a brother that would love a pair for xmas.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'd be cautious of getting boots from somewhere without a fitter who knows their stuff around.

Snowboard boots arent to hard to fit...one they fit your foot smugly and their comfortable there all good!

Ski boots are a totally different story though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭paulharte

Heres my advice:

Once you find a pair that you feel fit, try on a size below that. If they are ok, go with that

Remember, Boots pack out up to 10% through use (varies with different types of liner) and are possibly the most important part of your setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

There's loads of advice on here, some is excellent but regardless buying snowboard boots can be subjective.

For me Id use a stiff boot if you are freeriding the hill. But one of the most headwrecking things I find about the majority of boots is the laces. If you do a run and put in 70-100 turns leaning on your toe edge for half those turns then sooner or later the laces will come loose-I find this happens regardless of boot- laces just simply are'nt up to the job of having a good deal of your momentum pushed against the knot without coming loose.

With lace boots I often found myself re-tying the knot every 2-3 runs just to get the fit tighter and make the boot more responsive to the bindings. Even if I just left the knot alone Id fell them become looser and looser throughout the day to the point where you'd be doing a really good run and it would be ruined by your calvels and shins having too much wiggle room inside the boot.

Then my sister bought me a pair of these for Xmas 2 years back
    http://www.vanssnow.com/m_cirro.php
    Theres no way Id go back to using laces again after using the Boa system. Its not that they dont get a bit looser after a few runs (they do, albeit not that much), its that you can tighten them easily without having to take a glove off. Hell I do it on the chairlift on the way up :cool:

If you can find a boot that is a snug fit and has the Boa steel lace system then Id say snap it up. It's a real good investment, especially if you are improving like I was when I got 'em.

• Advertisement
Advertisement