Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bright star beside moon

Options
  • 23-11-2009 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Hey all. I know this time of year is good for observing. So hoping if someone could identify the bright star beside the moon? Its at the moon's 7 o'clock position and visible to the naked eye at least 40 mins since i spotted it. Someone said its jupiter but i doubt it. Been years since i looked through a scope lol.
    Anyways thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

congo_90 wrote: »
    Hey all. I know this time of year is good for observing. So hoping if someone could identify the bright star beside the moon? Its at the moon's 7 o'clock position and visible to the naked eye at least 40 mins since i spotted it. Someone said its jupiter but i doubt it. Been years since i looked through a scope lol.
    Anyways thanks!

It's the planet Jupiter, I think.

http://www.jodrellbank.manchester.ac.uk/astronomy/nightsky/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

It's 100% Jupiter, and it's directly due south at present, about half seven from the moon!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

gman2k wrote: »
    It's 100% Jupiter, and it's directly due south at present, about half seven from the moon!

Thanks

I thought it was Venus initially - but correct me if I am wrong, isn't Venus more visible in Sept/Oct sky?
    (I'm probably wrong !).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

download and install Stellarium (freeware) and all your questions shall be answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Venus is only visible in the small hours of the morning atm. It is far brighter (you think Jupiter is bright, see Venus). Anyway, it's Jupiter! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

gman2k wrote: »
    download and install Stellarium (freeware) and all your questions shall be answered.

Thanks for that gman. Thats class !! :)

http://www.stellarium.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Any shorthand info on where the visible planets are at what time of year available?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Any shorthand info on where the visible planets are at what time of year available?

Hi rccaulfield. A quick Google brought up this http://stardate.org/nightsky/planets/

Mars is up at 23:00 at the moment, and climbs into the sky as the evening/morning progresses. I'll definitely be getting the scope out at 4:30am sometime in the next two or three weeks.

Saturn is also up in the early morning(02:30am) this time of year as well.

But as has been echoed in this thread, Stellarium is a wonderful tool for finding out(fairly fast too) where the planets are at what time of year.

Good luck with the planetary viewing!

Advertisement