Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocation of Immersion Heater Timer

Options
  • 23-11-2009 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

I have a mechanical timer on my immersion heater which is starting to get very loud so I need to replace it (again). My central heating timer is downstairs and has a function for both central heating and immersion, so I’m thinking of wiring it up to that as it will be handier to have it controlled from there. I presume I’m better off installing a relay in the hotpress rather than dragging 2.5mm² all the way down stairs? What spec of relay should I use, I’m pretty sure (I’ll check later) it is a 3Kw element?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭mac_iomhair

I have a mechanical timer on my immersion heater which is starting to get very loud so I need to replace it (again). My central heating timer is downstairs and has a function for both central heating and immersion, so I’m thinking of wiring it up to that as it will be handier to have it controlled from there. I presume I’m better off installing a relay in the hotpress rather than dragging 2.5mm² all the way down stairs? What spec of relay should I use, I’m pretty sure (I’ll check later) it is a 3Kw element?

i see, your using the hot water function of the heating timeclock to switch the coil of a relay that switches the immersion on. you would want a 16A/20A then id say but I dont particularily like the idea to be honest. id just replace the noisy timeclock and get on with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

Thanks mac_iomhair. I’m sick of replacing the time clock to be honest, and it would be great to have the control of it alongside the central heating where I can use also then use the 1 hour boost function that the dual control timer has. You mention that you dislike the idea, from a safety point of view or just the fact of installing additional unnecessary wiring?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭mac_iomhair

I'm not pushed on the idea because you will be incorporating two circuits into your immersion heating circuit.

the heating circuit and the immersion circuit. it just wouldnt be ideal. it may work but it wouldnt be totally safe.

it would be good practice to keep them seperate.

you can get all kinds of timers(with boost functions) for the immersion, if I was you I would shop around for a good quality one.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

I see your point, I may reconsider so. Cheers.

Advertisement