Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I want to learn Gaelic.

• 23-11-2009 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

Just on Amazon and was wondering what's the best book to get.I would be a total beginner because I've forgotten everything I learned in school.

Thanks in advance.
    Sorry for not speaking Irish.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭craoltoir

You could put this query in the Languages/Gaeilge forum rather than in the all-Irish forum.

Anyway see here: www.litriocht.com and look for Buntús Cainte.

Tá an fóram seo in ainm is a bheith as gaeilge amháin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭imstrongerthanu

No problem didn't realise there was another forum for that.
    Thanks for the recommendation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Buntús Cainte is the best book out there. It's a 3 part series. The first one covers the basics, second one and third one are intermediate / slightly advanced. Get the three of them together, cos they are dirt cheap :) Come with a CD.

Free Lessons here: http://www.independent.ie/education/features/learn-irish-with-liam-o-maonlai-692551.html

Burn them onto a CD and listen when you get a chance. Get a really small notebook, and write down any phrases you hear or don't understand. Get a small pocket dictionary too. Try find a conversational group in your area, and start there. It will all fall into place if you do all of the above. Expect 1-2 years to get a decent grasp of the language, but you should notice a remarkable improvement within a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭imstrongerthanu

I went ahead and bought the 3 books.
    My father said he remembers a program called Buntús Cainte. as well so must of been fairly popular.
    I have 2 friends who i never would have gusedd would take up our language.So i will use what i learn with them hopefully.
    Thanks for the recommendations and advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Good decision :) Take it slowly, and don't overdo it. Try learn a few new words every week. Use Buntús Cainte as a reference book for how to use the words in the sentence. Don't forget to get a little notepad, and write down any cool phrases you hear, or read on the internet or Irish papers. It will really help exapnd your vocab.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

if for any reason you dont understand any words or want to look up words that arent in those books

i would recomend going to your library or englishirishdictionary.com or http://www.csis.ul.ie/focloir/ or as a last resort focal.ie

Advertisement