Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is acceptable time loss?

Options
  • 23-11-2009 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

I am just wondering what people see as acceptible. I have a rather crappy 40 euro casio watch which can lose up to 30 seconds in a month. Sometimes it doesn't and might only lose 2-3. Are watches that people buy for 1000-2000 euro anymore accurate. Also what mechanism is better electronical or mechanical? Just a few noobie questions. Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

quartz electronic will always be more accurate. Well I say always. I mean a Harrison ships chronometer of a few centuries back only loses 6 seconds a year which would blow most quartz out of the water, but generally a crappy quartz will out perform a mechanical rolex all things being equal.

Which is better? Longevity wise a mechanical. I dont see too many quartz watches still going after 100 years. Keeping its value? defo a mechanical. Few quartz watches keep their value. The dearest quartz movement is around the 20/30 quid mark to the trade, so you're really only paying for the name.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

As Wibbs has mentioned him....John Harrisson's story is an amazing one.

- Longitude

Well worth the read and the illustrated version is beautiful.

Not only were his clocks extremely accurate he made clocks that had that sort of accuracy for ships!

Think about that for a minute.....

Waves, storms, temperature variations......GENIUS!

My best Mechanical is +/- 2 seconds a day. It has been as ggod as +/- 10 seconds a month after a previous service :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Wibbs wrote: »
    The dearest quartz movement is around the 20/30 quid mark to the trade, so you're really only paying for the name.

This argument is always trotted out, but how much does a standard ETA automatic movement (2824 for example) cost? Not a huge amount more I would wager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Mine is neither mechanical nor quartz. It's a hummer!

I personally find any time loss hard to stomach. Ergo, I don't track my watch too closely ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

And... at the end of the day....especially considering we LIVE IN IRELAND.....what does it matter if your watch looses/gains a minute a day.

I've yet to be at a meeting/catch a bus etc.....that started on time :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement