Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler timer

Options
  • 23-11-2009 4:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. My head is wrecked. Have a boiler at home with a standard timer pull out the bits etc. Tbh it never worked properly so I'm looking to get an electric timer fitted. Can anyone recommend one that's easy to use and will fit into the same square slot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You can buy a digital version of the manual timer for most boilers. Just record the name and model of the boiler. I am guessing your boiler is a baxi or potterton and the clock is a single channel meaning it controls te heating and you have a seperate switch for hot water.

What you can do is buy a single channel time clock and stick it on the boiler with or near it and discretly run the wires to the boiler. Cheaper I would imagine. Again you have the option of digital or mechanical. One word of caution though. Visitors to the house can generally learn the mechanical timer in 2 min but it takes them an hour to learn the digital and they manager to forget so you might be leaving the kids and the babysitter in the cold if your not careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Cheers man. Well the prob is last year I replaced the old one with a normal timer ie mechanical one. But when u put the switch half way it puts the heating on but won't turn it off when the legs are finished it's cycle. Like you can't just have it on for 15 mins before ya wake up. Sometimes you can hear the clock turning other times ya can't hear anything that's why I thought a digital would be better

the clock beside the boiler heats the water and I have to turn a temp gauge at the stairs up in order to heat the rads

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Cheers man. Well the prob is last year I replaced the old one with a normal timer ie mechanical one. But when u put the switch half way it puts the heating on but won't turn it off when the legs are finished it's cycle. Like you can't just have it on for 15 mins before ya wake up. Sometimes you can hear the clock turning other times ya can't hear anything that's why I thought a digital would be better

the clock beside the boiler heats the water and I have to turn a temp gauge at the stairs up in order to heat the rads

I replaced 3 within 6 months. This one is working fine for 4 years. I think its half luck and faulty sh1t made in some far off backwater where they are paid 10c a day.

Advertisement