Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a break in SWA

Options
  • 23-11-2009 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Is there any device or way of determining where a break is an a length of SWA?? rather than the maths of measuring the resistance of the 2phases against the lenght of the cable..?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Auslander

With a spade:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Is it just a once off or do you need to do it on a regular basis?

You can determine the distance to the break in the cable using time domain reflectometry.

http://ie.farnell.com/megger/tdr900/cable-length-meter-tdr/dp/8746338?Ntt=8746338

Its only €650

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Cat and jeny could be an option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Cheeble

I had a similar problem a few years ago with 400m single core in foil. We measured the capacitance from core to foil at each end. The ratio of the two gave the location of the break. You need a multimeter with a good capacitance setting, and you need to be careful about how you position the unscreened ends of the cable when making the measurement, but with practice, we got it accurate to within about 5 metres.

You might be able to do something similar, though I'd expect more problems (i.e. less accuracy) with swa.

Cheeble-eers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

That's quite a cool idea!

i found TDRs quite good in the past, but only as a guideline, bearing in mind that joints etc., will bugger up the resistivity, and that cable runs are not always straight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭mac_iomhair

thats smart thinking cheeble... id nearly set up a break in a cable to try that out for the craic!

Advertisement