Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midwife courses

Options
  • 22-11-2009 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me... I am twenty two and in final year of my commerce degree. I have been thinking a lot about what I want to do for a living and midwifery is something I have always liked. However I have no idea how to apply or which courses to even consider. As I will already have a degree applying for a course I don't know how it will effect my application process...so if any one has any advice info or guidance I would really appreciate it thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Where are you from OP?

You apply for these courses through the CAO.

If you give me indication of your area (or where you'd like to study) I might be able to point you in the right direction :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 clairehig

id like to study in galway if possible but i dont know what courses are available to me

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Greentrees

Hi! Am 28 and in the same boat, have a BA degree and work in finance but would like to follow my dream of becomming a midwife. Would like to do a course in Dublin either UCD or Trinity.

Will it be harder to get in when i have no nursing experience or anything near it? Also will i be able to offset my fees against Dh's tax? I understand that if you have a degree you can't get any grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

I'm in the exact same situation! 26, BA, want to be a midwife. I've been looking everywhere but it seems there's no financial assistance available. (I'm going to South Korea next March for 12 months to try and save a ton of money, then hopefully I can get a student loan for the rest of the fees. The workload seems fairly heavy though, so I'm not even sure I'd be able to work and study at the same time...) The only vaguely positive thing I found was a post here on boards for a few months ago:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055677385

but someone in the Back to Education section of welfare.ie had this to say:

"With regard to your recent query, in order to be accepted on the
    BTEA programme a person must be progression in education. For
    e.g., if a person holds a FETAC level 5 qualification, they must
    be progressing to a level 6 course."

I'm pretty sure a BA and a BSc are on the same level...so no BTEA for us :(

A maintenance grant would be the other option and mature students are automatically entitled to the "non-adjacent" (ie higher) rate of payment, which is something I suppose...but I'm fairly sure having a degree already disqualifies you.

Oh, and for anyone who doesn't know there's a huge thread on rollercoaster.ie. (click discussions, then adult education, then midwifery) One for Midwifery 2009 and one for next September too. Full of info on the aptitude tests and interviews and course schedules and everything you can think of really.

Sorry for going on and on. And good luck to all of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Greentrees

Thanks Cliona99!!

I am going to apply and try my very best, if I get it I will find money somehow!! I just wish I had known more when I went to college the first time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭..Summergirl..

Good luck girls with yours applications!

Advertisement