Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any risks in getting screws removed?

Options
  • 22-11-2009 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

broke tib/fib in april,have im nail and usual screws in place.hospital physios forgot to pencil me in to start physio until i asked at end of june,surgeons twice mis-calculated my progress ie they told me twice i was 70% and 90% healed and both times when i went back for next appointment i was only then at the recovery point they had said i was at 4 weeks previous.i had bad shooting pain on opposite side of where break was in my shin,my physio decided i should go back to surgeon,he told me i was only 90% and i was trying to do the exercises of someone 100%,he advised taking screws out and he "hoped" that would solve the problem,got a call today to get it done this week as there had been a cancellation.problem i have is no longer getting shooting pain and i think its shin splints myself and im not too sure i can trust surgeon as every time i saw him in the past everything was rushed and never got clear answers.would there be any risk in getting screws out?sorry for dragging it out

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Broke my tib/fib back in 2001 and have had two screws in since. Had some bother in 2005/2006 with pain in that area. Discussed having screws removed but surgeon said no point as they weren't the cause of the pain I was having? Couple of sessions of physio carried on at home afterwards sorted it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Maybe you could bring these concerns to your surgeon? Just explain that you're worried and see what happens.

It would probably be worth asking your GP about this. While (s)he isn't a surgeon, they'd still have extensive training and could find the answer out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭howyanow

thanks for replies,problem with surgeon is he is in public clinic and he flies through us all in very quickly,i wont getan appointment with him for a few weeks and i suspect a junior surgeon will carry out the minor procedure,i was thinking of taking the appointment and telling the surgeon post op but there is a chance i may not meet him until im anaesthatised,and i dont want to take up a spot some1 else could use.dilemma!

Advertisement