Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting an Xbox 360 for Christmas.

Options
  • 22-11-2009 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

I'm getting an Xbox 360 for Christmas. Does anyone have any recomendations game-wise?

I've heard about this game named Bioshock. However, I talked to a lad in his twenties in Extravision who said it really freaked him out. I myself am 15. Any opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I wouldnt have thought Bio-shock scary :confused:

Nice user name by the way !!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm getting an Xbox 360 for Christmas. Does anyone have any recomendations game-wise?

I've heard about this game named Bioshock. However, I talked to a lad in his twenties in Extravision who said it really freaked him out. I myself am 15. Any opinions?

If he was tripping while playing then yeah, it would be, but under normal conditions not really.

In any case its a must play, its my No1 title for the 360, itching for 2 in Feb.

There is the option to kill genetically modified little girls, but its not mega gruesome anything. Rent it, if you like it buy it and finish it several times, if not its only like a fiver gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Woow_Aqualung

calex71 wrote: »
    I wouldnt have thought Bio-shock scary :confused:

Nice user name by the way !!!!!!!!!

Thanks. I'm a big Jethro Tull fan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Considering the violence in other games I think bioshock is ok, it is a little spooky

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Moving to the Xbox Forum.... the friendly folks down there will steer you in the right direction.

Bioshock is a great game. Not really scary apart from a couple of parts where the lights go out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Depends on what you're into really mate.

Personally I'd recommend the following:

Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Forza Motorsport 3
    Gears Of War 1&2 (you could probably pick these up cheap second hand)
    The Orange Box (again, you might be able to pick one up cheap enough second hand)

Arkham Asylum was the first game I got with my Xbox and it was incredible.
    Having not played games and not buying a console for about 4 years, Arkham Asylum was a fantastic re-introduction to games.
    Great graphics, great voice acting and great fun. Tons of replay value in it too.

Mr E wrote: »
    Moving to the Xbox Forum.... the friendly folks down there will steer you in the right direction.

Bioshock is a great game. Not really scary apart from a couple of parts where the lights go out!

Thanks. So Bioshock is good. Can anyone recomend any other games? I like RPG and I'm definately getting Oblivion. I've heard Fallout 3 is also good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Dragon Age origins or Mass Effect maybe?
    Mass Effect 2 is in the works and out in new year i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Thanks. So Bioshock is good. Can anyone recomend any other games? I like RPG and I'm definately getting Oblivion. I've heard Fallout 3 is also good.

Fallout 3 is fantastic. :)

Oh and get Borderlands. Very fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, definitely borderlands. My Game of the Year so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah forgot to mention Borderlands, im playing it on pc and its a really great game to sink your teeth into.
    Definitely one of the highlights of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Dcully wrote: »
    Yeah forgot to mention Borderlands, im playing it on pc and its a really great game to sink your teeth into.
    Definitely one of the highlights of the year.
    if your gonna play online try L4D2 brilliant multiplayer game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Crackdown I think is a great game to start off with
    Assassins Creed
    Fallout3 and the dlc will take atleast 40 hours
    Oblivion
    Bioshock however it got incredilbly repeditive and i failed to complete it because of it.
    Deadspace is a great game although it will scare the crap out of you because it did with me.
    Call of duty 4 although you would need to play it as it is a game you either like or loath.
    Guitar hero/Rockband both great games to play with friends

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

If you haven't played any Xbox games I'd recommend playing :

Batman : Arkham Asylum
    Rock Band 2 (rent Rock Band 1 and rip the songs for 5 euro :))
    Gears of War 1 & 2 (wow they're awesome)
    Dead Space
    Fable II

I found Bioshock to be quite polarizing. Although it got really high scores on the internet, my bro AND my best mate both couldn't play the game, they just didn't like it, even after giving it a 2nd shot. (i.e they played a few levels through)

I think GTA IV (double pack) would be a good choice if you're into it. I can easily still spend hours skidding around Liberty City and getting chased by police, flying helicopters, etc. but I know a lot of people that find it boring, so maybe im a minority.

That's the only game I really ever play, but other games i thought were OK that kinda caught my attention were Forza 3 (I think it's 3 anyway. Whatever the newest is), Street Fighter IV, SmackDown! VS RAW, and I'll occasionally dabble in a little DIRT (though i prefer Forza).

If you know someone with a 360 and LIVE, you could get them to download a few demos and see what you think of the games. They're free and usually give you a good enough sample of the game to know if you'll enjoy it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭phili_g

Also getting my first xbox this Christmas, which Halo 3 title is better?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

GTA 4
    Fallout 3
    Fifa 10
    Left 4 Dead 1/2
    DJ hero(If you can afford it)
    The Orange Box
    Fight Night Round 4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Here are a few games that I played and really enjoyed. I know some others have recommended them too.

Batman Arkham Asylum
    Bioshock
    Burnout Paradise (Ultimate Box, if possible)
    Rock Band 2 (with Guitar Hero World Tour instruments, if you can).
    Fifa 10
    Portal: Still Alive (or you could probably get the full 'Orange Box' second hand for cheaper).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

phili_g wrote: »
    Also getting my first xbox this Christmas, which Halo 3 title is better?

ODST is an expansion, not a full game. Get 3 first.

That reminds me, buy ODST....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 15 -El-Nino-

I'd pick...

FIFA 10
    Modern Warfare 2
    Assassin's Creed 2
    Need for Speed: Shift

It's really a matter of opinion though, whatever you're into:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

ODST is an expansion, not a full game. Get 3 first.

That reminds me, buy ODST....:p

Wow - I'm new to xbox territory too. I didn't know this was an expansion.
    Answers my question why it was still called '3'.
    very unclear packaging - how many mammies and daddies will be bringing ODST home for christmas and finding out they need Halo3?

I recently bought:
    PGR4
    GTA4
    Ass. Creed 1
    Far Cry 2
    Gears of War 1

I spent only about €50 on that lot (pre-played / some new)

yet to play any of them (I know they'll kick ass!)--- picking up xbox tonite!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Howitzer wrote: »
    Wow - I'm new to xbox territory too. I didn't know this was an expansion.
    Answers my question why it was still called '3'.
    very unclear packaging - how many mammies and daddies will be bringing ODST home for christmas and finding out they need Halo3?

I recently bought:
    PGR4
    GTA4
    Ass. Creed 1
    Far Cry 2
    Gears of War 1

I spent only about €50 on that lot (pre-played / some new)

yet to play any of them (I know they'll kick ass!)--- picking up xbox tonite!
    You don't need the Halo 3 disk to play ODST. Technically ODST is a different game.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

Bioshock is great and Fallout 3 is also good.

Good thread here by the way: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63124255#post63124255

If you want Halo for the multiplayer just buy ODST but if you want it for the campaign you'll have to buy the original. :)

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    You don't need the Halo 3 disk to play ODST. Technically ODST is a different game.

Yup, ODST is a sub-story to Halo 3, you don't need the original Halo 3 disk to play it. The ODST disk comes with the ODST campaign and ODST Firefight on one disk and Halo 3 multiplayer (with all maps) on another disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

Call of duty 4 and mw2 halo 3 and guitar hero. u will love em

The only game that I can think of is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Whether or not thats the game you're thinkin of its still awesome.

Yup, the elite is the best xbox available, whatever you do don't buy the arcade version.

And no, you don't have to buy a gun. I don't even think there is a gun available for the xbox?!?!?!

Ok I've bought an Xbox 360 Elite. I got it from HMV. Lego Batman,
    Mirror Edge, Pure and Fallout 3 GOTY edition came with the console plus I bought Obvion and Bioshock.:D Thank you everyone who has posted, you were a big help.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

That's awesome. Happy gaming man! How much did it set u back in the end?

jaykhunter wrote: »
    That's awesome. Happy gaming man! How much did it set u back in the end?

Around E200. E175 for the console deal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement