Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphones, do you love them or hate them?

Options
  • 22-11-2009 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm in two minds about the whole iphone thing.

They don't really appeal to me and the fact that they are apple makes it that little bit less desirable yet I regularly find myself considering getting one.

Is it clever marketing or actually a good product?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

I'd love one, but they are far too expensive!
    Hopefully, when vodafone start selling them the price will come down a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭3DataModem

As a previous sceptic and now a user for nearly a year I think it's a perfect product for me.

I use the iPod music and video every day, email for work and personal email, Skype and IM apps dozens of times a day, GPS and Internet pretty much all the time. So having all that on one device is perfecto for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

I hate Apple and all this iTunes jazz, wish it was just click and drag any mp3.

But the iPhone itself is gorgeous and does most things you'd want these days.

So overall verdict... I hate loving them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The device itself is brilliant, but the way it installs a backdoor into peoples wallets and purses to syphon out large sums of money in the background, makes it poor value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

It all depends on what you want to use your handset for. Granted we all use our handsets to make calls and send sms, but if all you enjoy doing in addition is listening to music and browsing the web, then the iPhone would most likely be your ideal handset. The iPhone's OS is its crowning achievement, when taking into account the above, certainly not its specifications.

With all that said, I find Apple's OS management restrictive and abhorrent, therefore making jailbreaking a requirement. The handset is cost-prohibitive, multi-tasking is non-existent for 3rd party apps, it took three iterations before the iPhone was technically competent and competitive with other handsets in the market, and it still only has a 3.2 MP camera, officially no Bluetooth transfer, no FM radio capabilities; to name a few things it's missing.

While I can understand why some like the iPhone, I just see it as a wasted opportunity. I'll be looking elsewhere when buying my next handset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I'm a Mac user, and the iTunes and general Mac integration really appeals to me. I've considered it on several occasions. However, I don't have one, and probably never will, because:

1) There's no proper multitasking. This is my #1 reason.

2) No access to the file system. Which means (for example) no downloading files in the browser, editing them in office software, and then emailing them as an attachment. There are apps that can do all of these things individually, but fluidity is either minimal or non-existant.

3) No Flash. Same as lots of phones, but if I buy a phone for its supposedly fantastic web browser, I want it to be compatible with widely-used web technologies.

4) No apps to edit iWork documents last time I checked. Again, most phones can't do this, but if I shell out big bucks for an Apple phone I'd like it to support Apple's formats!

5) Milage seems to vary widely regarding battery life (although apparently if you turn absolutely everything off, it's great! :rolleyes:)

6) Price. Simply not worth it. There are cheaper, better phones out there.

7) Apple has too much control over what you can and can't do with an iPhone (contrary to popular belief, this is not the case on a Mac).

Nokia all the way for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Ok if the iPhone is what does it for you that's fine...having used one for around 16 months now I have developed a myriad of chargers...bedside, car charger, office and a cable with the laptop and still I have found it going dead on me before the end of the day if I forget any one of the above.

I've also had to swith to 2G only in an effort to conserve the battery...I'm a heavy user as you might imagine. Anyway it's a great device, but not for heavy users...buyer beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Please read the sticky about iPhones. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement