Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sedation for bladder procedure..

Options
  • 22-11-2009 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to request sedation for certain procedures? I am due to have a cystoscopy, and cannot get a firm answer as to whether sedation is usual for this procedure or not, cause if not, I want to ask for it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭charlieroot

You should call the team who will be doing the procedure to get a definitive answer. In my (limited) experience though it is generally offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

sedation would be norml at a minimum, some get general anaesthetic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

what he said....

very few people in my experience would have tolerated a cysto without something to chill them out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

Wow, that is fantastic news! The whole thought of it is making me nervous....unless I am out of it! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Would people be less likely to get sedation if it was a flexi cysto? I saw a guy once getting a flexi for follow-up after treated bladder cancer, all the SHO used was some Spirigel.

• Advertisement

Vorsprung wrote: »
    Would people be less likely to get sedation if it was a flexi cysto? I saw a guy once getting a flexi for follow-up after treated bladder cancer, all the SHO used was some Spirigel.

OMG don't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭calis

if it is a flexi cystoscopy then you will not be sedated .. they will just numb the surrounding area.

if it is a rigid cystoscopy then they will put you asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

I had a cyst removed from my eye & had to be sedated because I wasn't impressed at being able to see the scalpel coming (morto)
    I don't remember anything after jumping away from the scalpel, I just woke up afterwards, it was definitely not a general though, I'm not sure what they did but it was great. No memory of it at all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

calis wrote: »
    if it is a flexi cystoscopy then you will not be sedated .. they will just numb the surrounding area.

They don't typically put you to sleep for a rigid AFAIR, they give you an epidural. The reason is that they fill the bladder with water (I think!? Maybe mannitol), which can cause an osmotic shift and potentially cause cerebral oedema, so they need to keep an eye on your GCS/mental state.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Vorsprung wrote: »
    They don't typically put you to sleep for a rigid AFAIR, they give you an epidural. The reason is that they fill the bladder with water (I think!? Maybe mannitol), which can cause an osmotic shift and potentially cause cerebral oedema, so they need to keep an eye on your GCS/mental state.
    calis wrote: »

its all very patient specific. I've seen patients knocked out for both, sedated for both and epodurals for both.

in my experience, flexis usually involved sedation of some sort for most patients, meanwhile rigids involved either stronger sedation or a general. It's also sex specific as well, as a rigid cysto for a man is a lot worse than for a woman.

OP just have a chat with the doc, if your concerned give a ring (not today ) to the hospital and ask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭JackReacher1980

I had a cystoscopy, and unfortunately, I was not sedated. It was a local anaesthetic. It wasnt the nicest experience of my life, but it is only for a couple of minutes, so sedation probably would have been a bit pointless

Sorry to drag up old thread, but the flexible cystoscopy is tomorrow morning and I am bricking it:( Please someone tell it like it is, please, I want to be sedated, do you think I will be accommodated?? And I was going to do some serious handbag shopping in Dublin afterwards, or will I be too sore? :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭JackReacher1980

I had mine done in the Bons Secours. Sedation wasnt offered, the procedure is uncomfortable at the time, but handbag shopping afterwards should be fine! It hurts to pee for a couple of days, but nothing really worse than a bad UTI.
    Best of luck anyway

Advertisement