Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow Water at home !!!! *** PLease Help ***

Options
  • 21-11-2009 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Can someone tell me why the hot water upstairs and downstairs and the cold water upstairs ( ie. toilet water, basin and bath taps ) has a yellowish tint off it. Now its not that much recognisable until you say fill the bath half way of fill the basin, then you can see that its off colour...

Just wondering if it could be the water coming into the house ( altough the neigbours is fine ) or if the pluming is not connected properly.

I did how ever think it might have been the hot water tank that was old, but i have only, two weeks ago replaced it.

Please Please help... as its nasty looking and im sure it aint too healthy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,006 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Where do you get your water from?

If it is mains, just run some water off the kitchen tap, which is usually a direct connection, into a white or light coloured container and see if there is the colour. If there is, ring the council. It is probably that all the rain of late has caused turbidity in the source water.

If you have a well/bore, again it is likely all the rain was washed silt into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Remo

hi.

thanks forthe reply.

The fresh water into the kitchen tap is fine .... I take the tap water going into the tank in the attic is different ?

This has been happeing for some months now

The water comes from the mains , its a standard hse in a Dublin suburb

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

There is a good chance that the coil in your cylinder is leaking. This would mean the plumbing water and heating water is mixing.

Have you two black tanks in your attic? one big and one small one.

no i only have one large black tank in the attic ! , how could it leak if its a brand new cylinder tank ? , and it was happening before i got the new cylinder thank ????

thanks

Sorry, just read you first post properly :o

Have you looked into storage tank? Might be an idea to drain it and clean it, a wet vac is perfect for the job,. flush a frw times before using.

• Advertisement

hiya micky, ive just spent the last few hours cleaning and flushing the tank it the attic.

its now spotless .... just waiting for it to fill back up ...

will let you know..

thanks..

Micky,

Its still the same ... I do think some how the heating water is mixing ...

now where i dont know

what would you suggest

thanks a mil

Have you tired pouring a bucket of water from your mains tap into the bath and comparing the colour?

This will discount the incoming water. Since you have already changed cylinder, (the only place heating and plumbing water can mix)* unless you have a semi sealed system.

Do you have a red ball type thing in your hotpress? What type of boiler have you?

After I cleaned the tank , i filled the bath and it was clear !..

I have got one of them red ball things ? the boiler is a gas one..

thanks

Where is the ball thing, in the hotpress?

have you a pressure gauge on the boiler or on the system? do you know how to fill the heating system?

• Advertisement
Advertisement