Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are these estimates way out???

Options
  • 21-11-2009 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Im planning to build an 1800sqft 4bedroom bunglow with basic finish. standard pluming with either oil or pellet burner and prob solar panels. brothers a block layer so we can do a lot of the ground work ourselves as my uncle is a digger driver. this is my rough est but maybe im mad...

dig out pour foundation lay footings pour floor and build to roof lever,
    €20000
    roof price €20000 inc slates
    windows €10000
    plumbing + rads €5000
    Plaster €10000
    Elect €5000
    TOTAL €70000

Sewage €8000
    ESB conn €3500
    Bore well €3000
    Paths + pipe €4000
    Pellet burner + solar panel €8000 or oil burner €1500
    Total €26500

Furniture inc bathroom timber flooring tiles inside doors and kitchen and elec appliances.my sis works for a company that manufacture sanetry so have discount there, my uncle is a joiner and priced kitchen at bout €6000 and i can lay flooring and tile myself so im hoping €30000 should cover that.
    Total €30000
    Total figure €126500 Thats €70 per sqft incl furnishings. as i said there will be no fancey finishing but reasonable. trying to do it on tight budget am i MAD????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

are they your own estimates? you'd want to get the materials required prepared by a QS. The figure of €70/sq ft does appear to be quite low in my opinion. Although you do say that you can do lot of the work yourself.

From our experience at the moment there isn't exactly major savings to be gotten on materials, it all seems to be in labour.

You would want to make sure that you have your figures right because I know of a neighbour who's building and they have run out of money. the bank won't give them any money to finish the house as the house is (in theory) worth less than when the mortgage was aproved.

make sure you give yourself a good safety figure ie build your house as cheaply as possible but make sure you have more than enough finance available to allow for the unexpected.

don't forget to allow 2k for each of - solicitor, water connection and engineer for sign-offs! straightaway thats €6k you hadn't mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭stephentbb2000

1. Sewage seems a little high, a treatment unit plus polishing unit is around €4200.
    2. ESB Connection should be around €1800, that's what i paid. 100 mts from the main line.
    3. Depending on the size of the solar panel and type, €8000 could be a little expensive.
    4. Plumbing and electrics sounds extremely unreasonable. You should easily double those estimates.
    5. Plastering is off the mark as well.
    6. Don't forget fees, council contribution, contingency and the likes of internal woodwork, bathroom fittings etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

my best mate is a plumber, we came up with a price roughly around that. my mate got his elec done for 5k and he has zoned and timed heating. ive been talking to lads that had plastering done and its roughly multiply sqft by 5 then material slabs and skim and cement,as i said its just rough. im only pricing the build, the site is paid and charges are too.

if you are going to build a house that cheaply you really need to get each of those costs clearly quoted in writing - having a friend tell you a price isn't good enough. things change when you start talking about money to your friends. you will need to run all the details by your engineer or you could run into problems along the way when he comes to sign the various stages.

you will need to run all the details by your engineer or you could run into problems along the way when he comes to sign the various stages.

what does engineer have to do with the price of labour and material, if i need 5000 or 10000 for plumbing then thats waht i need!

• Advertisement

we are due to start pumping our cavity insulation by the end of the coming week. we had to supply the engineer with various forms of documentation before he would confirm that he was happy to sign off on this aspect of our build. you intend on building a house on a very tight budget and i would be concerned that some of the materials you may use may not be acceptable to your engineer. will it comply with the new building energy standards?

i would be seriously concerned about trying to build a house at 70e per sq ft and am merely trying to advise you that you really to need have everyone involved in the project on your side from the start. it will help keep the costs under control.

I wasnt been smart i just wasnt sure what you meant, i thought i was missing somthing. i understand your point now, i wouldnt be skimping on important stuff doe.(just wont be going with oak floors and doors and big fancey kitchen like) i also forgot to mention that we have €20000 of our own money cash to use,i forgot to put this in so my orignal figures so its working out at €81 sqft. sorry lads. thanks for the replys:)

Ah no worries chief. It's just in recent months i've seen 2 people run into problems with their finance. I can't stress enough the need to make sure you have your costs tied down especially when you have target cost that you need to hit. The project has become a nightmare for the people concerned. 1800sq ft is a big bungalow. Just keep in mind the notional budget of 100e per sq ft which is quite common here. Don't forget the cost your alarm. Our electrical spec for 2100 sq ft house is 6k ex vat. We still have to fork out money for an alarm. 6k includes the 1st fix wiring. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

your electrical seems way out - somewhere around 2.5k would be about right.

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    your electrical seems way out - somewhere around 2.5k would be about right.

2 and a half, others said i should double to 10000. vary in prices are mental.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

I`m starting out too at house building. Best of luck to you.

The main advice I`m getting is that you should tie down everything at the start, try and have all the big decisions made now. Builders will charge for changes, and there backs are up against the wall at the minute so they wont be too forgiving for anything big.

Might be worth your while quoting the whole job to the builder too, family is great, but they might need a few bob off it too (then again maybe they`ll be happy to have work). May save you hassle as if the builder decides there's something wrong with the foundations he might blame you.

Beware the friends trap too, if you dont have a solid arrangement either of you could end up feeling gypped by the arrangement.

Dunno about the electrical spec, depends on the size of the house and what your putting in, but Id say 5k isnt unreasonable for a basic job.

As others have said, dont forget the engineer, solicitor and the like. I think you need a BER done these days too. If you havent gotten planning yet then you could be hit up for a couple of thousand for the contribution, depending on what services you can get.

And yes, house prices tend to be mental. I saw quotes for a house of around 2500 sqr ft, they ranged from 200k to 300k, with the bottom guy listing 40 weeks and the top guy listing 52.

Advertisement