Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rep. Ireland. Gas hob regulations

Options
  • 21-11-2009 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone can help me.
    When enquiring about a gas hob yesterday, I was reminded of the fact that new regulations came into affect in Rep Ireland about 5 years ago, where there has to be a cut of valve (or however you'd describe it) on the gas hob, which cuts off the gas supply in the event of the gas being turned on with no flame.

My question is this: I've seen a gas hob, greatly reduced, but it doesn't have this feature. It's a N. Ireland model. I have no problem in getting someone to install this for me, but I'm wondering what are the implications of doing so. Do you need a cert for house insurance now that specifies if your gas hob has complies, or anything?

Hopefully someone can advise.
    Thanks,
    BB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

The cut off valve or gas valve is supplied by the plumber(Who is gas registered) it is usually fitted where it can be accessed so s/he fits it in a press. If you need a gas installer you can get one on rgii.ie

Just be careful and make sure the cooker is suitable for natural gas if thats what you have or get an LPG kit if thats what you have.

You dont as far as I know need a cert but make sure you get a receipt

There is some rules about 5 burner hobs. Appar your not allowed them in timber frame houses. But I cannot see why so would plead that iggnorence is sometimes best with these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The cut off valve or gas valve is supplied by the plumber(Who is gas registered) it is usually fitted where it can be accessed so s/he fits it in a press. If you need a gas installer you can get one on rgii.ie
    That's something different altogether. What she's talking about is a so called FSD (flame supervision device) or FFD (flame failure device). These are fitted in the hob itself, and can't be retrofitted. They're also law in the UK in multi-dweller residences and flats, so they are available from suppliers there as well, they'll just be a bit more expensive.

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/advice/324/Flame-Supervision-Device-Guide

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Alun wrote: »
    That's something different altogether. What she's talking about is a so called FSD (flame supervision device) or FFD (flame failure device). These are fitted in the hob itself, and can't be retrofitted. They're also law in the UK in multi-dweller residences and flats, so they are available from suppliers there as well, they'll just be a bit more expensive.

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/advice/324/Flame-Supervision-Device-Guide

My apologies.I learn from your wisdom :o

The regulation is there for a reason and that is for your safety, no registered gas fitter would fit this for you because they would risk prosecution (rightly so) and they would need to be able to sleep at night, if any Rgii gas fitter sees the hob they would have to report it, Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Yes, it's that FSD or whatever thing, I'm talking about.
    TBH, I'm not concerned about the safety aspect. We've neen living with old gas hobs all our lives, & how many actual explosions have you heard of!!

So, my question is, legally, is there anything to stop me from installing this?
    Do I need a cert for house insurance, or anything like that?
    I have to act on this today, which is why I'm asking the question.
    There's no point in buying it, if, when I go to insure my house, there's a section where I've to provide a cert from a registered gas fitter, or something.
    If not, I'd be more than happy to go ahead with the purchase.

Thanks for the advice so far

• Advertisement

BoozyBabe wrote: »
    TBH, I'm not concerned about the safety aspect
    Good for you, i call that natural selection
    We've neen living with old gas hobs all our lives, & how many actual explosions have you heard of!!

Sadly, more than i would like to, i have spent most of my working life as British gas emergency engineer, i have been called out to explosions and deaths and you would be amazed how many times it was something stupid that caused some thing dramatic and it's after something dramatic happens that a regulation is changed in the hope of it not happening again, no matter how slim the chances.
    So, my question is, legally, is there anything to stop me from installing this?
    Absolutely, I'll say again you want to fit a product outside of the gas safety regulations, no proper gas installer will be able to fit this due to the regulations and if you fit it yourself or have it fitted by someone unregistered then in the future you risk having it capped off and to add to my cheerful news, if you have LPG then when the new LPG regs are in force the hob will be cut off also. you have decided the potential risk to you're safety is minimal, i as a experienced gas engineer have a full understanding of the risk and i would not have that hob in my house, the choice is yours, Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You may not be concerned for your families safety or the safety of your home. Your insurance company however would be interested in why you fitted an illegal gas appliance in your home, should the worst happen.

Now bear in mind, since no RGI would touch it, you can not be sure it was fitted correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

can anyone give me a link to the actual law on gas installs ? i know he regulations but cant find the actual law that is being advertised -

I don't understand by what law, but i will give it ago

regulation:

IS813 section: 8.2

8.8.1 As from the 1st of January 2005 any new gas cooker installed in accordance with this standard intended to be used in indoor spaces and rooms shall incorporate a flame supervision device, automatic re-ignition or other system on all burners(including hotplate burners) to ensure that there is no release of unlit gas in dangerous quantity.

The Law:
    Under the provisions of the Energy (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2006 (the
    ‘Act’), the Commission for Energy Regulation (the ‘Commission’) has the
    responsibility “to regulate the activities of natural gas undertakings and natural
    gas installers with respect to safety. As required under the Act, the Commission will discharge this responsibility through the establishment and implementation of a natural gas safety regulatory framework (the ‘Framework’).

and

As part of the regulatory framework the Commission for Energy Regulation (CER) has committed to developing a comprehensive system for the regulation of the activities of natural gas installers with respect to safety which will incorporate “a system for the regulation, certification, ongoing inspection of the work and assessment of competence of individual trained natural gas installers”

Registration for Domestic Gas Installers begins on the 05th of January 2009

Gary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

looking for the 'law' being advertised that says if you install a gas appliance without being registered you face a fine of 15 grand or 3 years in prison -i cant find that in law all i can find is the regulations - i dont think here is an actual law that forbids you from installing your own gas cooker -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

knighted_1 wrote: »
    looking for the 'law' being advertised that says if you install a gas appliance without being registered you face a fine of 15 grand or 3 years in prison -i cant find that in law all i can find is the regulations - i dont think here is an actual law that forbids you from installing your own gas cooker -

The law is the Energy Act 2006.

see here for more information www.rgii.ie

knighted_1 wrote: »
    i dont think here is an actual law that forbids you from installing your own gas cooker -

O yes there is, you can take me word for it, you can re read my post about the the law which i stole from the RGII site or as Micky has advised (which is the best advice)you could go to the RGII site where you will get all the info you want as they are the people doing all the advertising.

If you were to fit a cooker and because you are unaware of Irish regs you fitted a cheap cooker that can chop someones fingers off, normaly children's i have found or you don't fit a stability chain/bracket and again a child opens the oven door pulling the cooker over, what do you think will happen to you? Just so you know laws for gas in Ireland are different to the UK, they are stronger than in the UK because when they wrote them they made sure they had the power to imprison without any faffing about, in the UK the power to imprison is very weak and hard to enforce, the body of people here for enforcing the law have made it quite clear they are going to imprison people for messing with gas to help get the word out quicker, so your misunderstanding of the law could potentially get you in the same cell as big fella with a fetish for failed gas fitters:eek:, so be careful out there;),

Advertisement