Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machida vs Shogun II May 1st in Montreal

Options
  • 21-11-2009 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

It would be an understatement to say that there is unfinished business between Lyoto Machida and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua.

Now the pair will go at it once more, this time it looks like it will be on May 1st in Montreal. Dave Wetzel of Yahoo Sports made the announcement on his Twitter page.

“Dana White just told me: Lyoto Machida will defend UFC light heavyweight belt against Shogun Rua May 1 in Montreal”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

After a controversial finish at UFC 104 in October that seen Lyoto Machida defend his light heavyweight championship against Shogun Rua, in a fight many believed Shogun won, UFC President Dana White stated that Shogun would receive an immediate rematch and now a date has been set.

On May 1st when the UFC returns to Montreal the two 205lb fighters will clash again to see if someone can decisivly walk away as champion.

It wasn't the prettiest of fights and the arguement could be made that Shogun didn't "beat" the champion with it being so close but, the 10 point must system which has been the focus of criticism since its inception in the sport of MMA clearly had Shogun winning the fight on many MMA insider, writers, and fans scorecards.

Hopefully next time one of the fighters takes it out of the judges hands.

http://www.mmanews.com/ufc/Lyoto-Machida-Vs.-Shogun-2-Set-For-May-1st-In-Montreal.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Machida to win this one, I really think he didn't expect Shogun to be so patient and use the kicks to legs and body so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

as shogon has a MT background thats the exactly what he would have expected :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

siochain wrote: »

I agree, what was he thinking? Although this time I expect Machida to be wise to Rua's MT striking style. I think this will be an exciting fight as both fighters will be working on different strategies than the ones they used last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

siochain wrote: »
    Then Machida didn't really prepare for them too well! :)
    I though that Shogun was usually all-out attack instead of the patience he showed vs Machida.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cokedrinker

Cannot bloody wait for this one... I think ill try and go to it - would love to see Shogun become champ

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

..would love to see Shogun become champ

you mean OFFICIALLY ;D :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Will be in Montreal for this. Hopefully tickets dont sell out in 15 minutes like last time

Advertisement