Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I finished work today

Options
  • 20-11-2009 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

I returned to work today after 5 weeks off (3 weeks hols and 2 weeks sick) and found that I just couldn't keep up the pace :( The pain in my hips/pelvis/lower abdo from running around all morning was getting beyond a joke, and it wasn't fair on the rest of the girls on the ward.

So I went to my ward manager and asked to start my leave early. He said 'Of course, can you wait half an hour?' :D

So anyway, I came home after lunch and took the rest of the day sick. I've a week annual leave to take next week and then my leave starts on the 30th, a week before I had planned, so my leave officially starts from 36 weeks.

I think I'd be ok if my job wasn't so physical, but working on a very very busy Cancer ward with some very sick and dependant patients is tough. My days are also 13 hours long (0700=2000) so I'm having to get up at half 5 and quite often don't get home until well after 9!

I'm happy with my decision, nothing to do but wait for baby and the real work to begin now!

Is anyone else getting close to going on maternity leave?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭bumpintraining

Hi no-where near maternity leave yet but just wanted to say enjoy yours!! 13hr days are too much for any pregnant woman to be doing:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

crazy cat enjoy your leave! Put your feet up and have a good rest!

I'd so much planned for my two weeks off and ended up having DS two days after finishing up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭mint man

re pain, my partner has same pain and was told its called spd,and has been seeing a physio in hospital for it,gave her support belts and exercises to do
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Oh I definately have some SPD and probably som PGP going on too! Just didn't realise how bad it was having had 5 weeks off. I have a support belt and I'm doind yoga which helps.

Don't think I'm going to bother trying to get a physio referral at this stage, its more stress than its worth getting into Holles st for the appointments.

I hope this little one doesn't keep me waiting too long! It'll feel like the longest maternity leave ever otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Fair play to you for working so long considering how physically and mentally demanding your job is!
    Sounds like it'll be a very well earned break you're getting now before junior arrives :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I just started back today:( Missed the kids so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

i'm cutting down to 3 days in 2 weeks and i plan to finish up on the 22nd of dec... i'm due the 24th..i'd drive everyone mad if i was at home.. i don't offically get maternity cos i'm self employed in a family business..so any time off is at my own expense.. waiting for state benefit when your self employed is just insane so we sold our house and i'm quitting for good so i want to go as long as i can.
    the standing is killing my hip but i enjoy the banter and fun with the customers and know from experience i'd turn into a bloody nightmare at home on my own with the kids out at school and hubby at work.. everyone thinks i'm mad but as i say i won't be killing myself once i'm not bored!!:D i finished 2 weeks before both my others and i think i lasted 3 or 4 days and then just wandered back in...it's funny saying to a guy in the middle of a haircut when he asks when are you due? and you say... last week!!!!:D:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

My official giving up work date is Jan 13th but I seriously doubt I'll be able for the stint after Christmas. Luckily I only have a desk job but sitting in that position does take it's toll too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Das Kitty wrote: »
    My official giving up work date is Jan 13th but I seriously doubt I'll be able for the stint after Christmas. Luckily I only have a desk job but sitting in that position does take it's toll too.

I'd well believe it! I can't get comfy sitting anywhere for too long, couldn't imagine sitting at a desk from 9-5! I got myself one of those wedge pillows and use it wherever i'm sitting in the base of my back, and stuff it under my bump when I'm laying down. It really makes a difference :)

Advertisement