Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow parking box help please

Options
  • 20-11-2009 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

A couple of friends are facing into tough times; one of them is dying, and is scarcely able to walk, permanently on oxygen and exhausted by the slightest thing.

The hospital consultant has given them a letter to get a yellow parking box outside the house, but when they wrote to the relevant authority they got a form email back saying they needed a Disabled Parking Card (Blue Badge) and Primary Medical Certificate.

They haven't a bull's notion how to get these things. Is there a procedure? Is there somewhere to download the forms to apply for these badges and certificates?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,348 ✭✭✭✭Victor

luckat wrote: »
    The hospital consultant has given them a letter to get a yellow parking box outside the house, but when they wrote to the relevant authority they got a form email back saying they needed a Disabled Parking Card (Blue Badge)

www.ddai.ie or www.iwa.ie
    and Primary Medical Certificate.
    I presume this is the doctor's letter, but check with the council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Thanks, Victor. No, the Primary Medical Certificate isn't the doctor's letter.

Then ask them what format it comes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

I am attaching a link to citizens information. For the permit only applications go to the IWA or Disabled Drivers Association. If you are going for primary medical certificate you apply through your local health service executive office.

www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/traffic-and-parking/disabled_persons_parking_card

Thank you for all your kind help. I'm a little surprised that the HSE form is not online as Revenue forms are, and wonder if this is true of all HSE forms.

• Advertisement

Do a google on "Primary Medical Certificate" - you might have your work cut out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

You said your friend is dying, how sad:( Are they linked in with any palliative care services or a hospice? THeir social worker there will be able to deal with those issues and write a support letter as well as the consultants.

Thanks, LadyPennyworth. Yes, it's all in place; they now have the correct parking permit, etc, and palliative care is swinging into action. Thank you all for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭KC JONES

Did they get the primary certificiate? That comes from the HSE as far as i know. They have to see a particular doctor, the title of which escapes me now. If they did not get it post back and i will chase it up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Am in the process of applying for a primary medical cert from the local authority. There is a waiting list, I suggest you get a letter from a doctor/physio and anyone else you deal with giving you support and encouraging its speedy granting...

• Advertisement

Am in the process of applying for a primary medical cert from the local authority. There is a waiting list, I suggest you get a letter from a doctor/physio and anyone else you deal with giving you support and encouraging its speedy granting...
    A Primary Medical cert comes from HSE not local authority. Details
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/transport-and-disability/tax_relief_for_disabled_drivers_and_disabled_passengers

In order to qualify for tax relief under the scheme, you must have a valid Primary Medical Certificate. A Primary Medical Certificate confirms you are severely and permanently disabled and:

Are completely or almost completely without the use of both legs or
    Are completely without the use of one of your legs and almost completely without the use of the other leg to the extent that you are severely restricted as regards movement in your legs or
    Are without both hands or both arms or
    Are without one or both legs or
    Are completely or almost completely without the use of both hands or arms and completely or almost completely without the use of one leg or
    Have the medical condition of dwarfism and serious difficulties of movement of the legs
    Local Health Offices of the Health Service Executive (HSE) process applications for a Primary Medical Certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

KC JONES wrote: »
    A Primary Medical cert comes from HSE not local authority. Details
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/transport-and-disability/tax_relief_for_disabled_drivers_and_disabled_passengers

In order to qualify for tax relief under the scheme, you must have a valid Primary Medical Certificate. A Primary Medical Certificate confirms you are severely and permanently disabled and:

Are completely or almost completely without the use of both legs or
    Are completely without the use of one of your legs and almost completely without the use of the other leg to the extent that you are severely restricted as regards movement in your legs or
    Are without both hands or both arms or
    Are without one or both legs or
    Are completely or almost completely without the use of both hands or arms and completely or almost completely without the use of one leg or Have the medical condition of dwarfism and serious difficulties of movement of the legs
    Local Health Offices of the Health Service Executive (HSE) process applications for a Primary Medical Certificate.

I ment local authority sorry. additionally despite the above there is slight leeway in the conditions. For example stroke victums with limited movement can get a cert.

My friend got the yellow box, and has regular care nurses and doctors calling now. Thanks for all the help, lads.

luckat wrote: »
    My friend got the yellow box, and has regular care nurses and doctors calling now. Thanks for all the help, lads.
    You are welcome;)

. additionally despite the above there is slight leeway in the conditions. For example stroke victums with limited movement can get a cert.
    Yes, everyone should apply if they think they qualify and remember there is an appeals process too;)Good luck with your application

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mack daddy

can anyone tell me what the appeals process is like in dun laoire, how does the interview go and is it though?
    iv been knocked back and im appealing in have little power in my left leg/foot. is there a better chance of obtaining a pmc through the appeals board?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

Yes, there is a better chance with the appeals board.

What you need is a lot of paperwork, detailing your medical condition. Paperwork from qualified personnel (doctor, physio, OT) is best, but you should also write a long letter yourself, outlining the difficulties you have on a daily basis.

If you lose the appeal, go to the ombudsman, if possible.

If you lose there, re-apply straight away, and go through the entire process, including appeal and ombudsman, as many times as is necessary to get the cert.

Your condition could worsen, so even if you don't qualify on this application, you might qualify on the next application.

Advertisement