Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade UPC/NTL modem - use MAC from old router?

Options
  • 20-11-2009 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hello All,

I've 3 units:
    NTL/UPC cable modem
    ATA for blueface service
    Dell wireless router

I'd like to replace all 3 with one unit but wondering if the NTL/UPC modem has any username/ passwords loaded that would prevent a replacement modem working? I believe they simply use MAC address in which case I could change the MAC address of the new router to match.

Anybody tried this?

Thanks,

Leo

Comments

The UPC cable modem can't be replaced so the best you can hope for is two devices, the UPC modem and an integrated ATA/wireless router.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭leo738

Do you mean that's UPC's policy or that it's impossible because of stored ID info on the modem? MAC copying wouldn't work?

Leo

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lambchops

Simplest way to put it is the modem needs to be configured whenever it's turned on to work on UPC's network. They only allow their provided modems because then they don't have to make different config files for nearly every modem in the world coz 1 person might decide to get a new one.

Same modem across the board = less work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭leo738

Thanks for the info. Pity really but I'll live with it!

Leo

Advertisement