Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A book on Maps

Options
  • 20-11-2009 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

I am just considering writing a book on the Grand jury maps of County Kilkenny and i am wondering would anybody be interested in the book? it will have a bit about the maps (15 of them) and on how to read them and then it will have a full index of the parishs townlands and estates and items of interest. there is only one article in another book written about the maps. Any interest? And anybody know much about any other counties grand jury maps?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

I am just considering writing a book on the Grand jury maps of County Kilkenny and i am wondering would anybody be interested in the book? it will have a bit about the maps (15 of them) and on how to read them and then it will have a full index of the parishs townlands and estates and items of interest. there is only one article in another book written about the maps. Any interest? And anybody know much about any other counties grand jury maps?

You could drop a line to J. H. Andrews in TCD's geography department who, as you probably know, has done a huge amount of work on historical Irish maps.

Also Dave Edwards in UCC's history department is the leading authority on Kilkenny in the 16th and 17th centuries. He might have a few ideas for you about the 19th century so it could be worth emailing him also.

Bail ó Dhia ar an obair.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

Rebelheart wrote: »
    You could drop a line to J. H. Andrews in TCD's geography department who, as you probably know, has done a huge amount of work on historical Irish maps.
    Ah Hah, It is J H Andrews that wrote the piece that I mentioned. Thanks for the other name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Ah Hah, It is J H Andrews that wrote the piece that I mentioned. Thanks for the other name.

Paddy Duffy and Jacinta Prunty from NUI Maynooth come to mind, Paddy has edited a few of the historic towns atlases, and Jacinta has published a guide to maps in Irish local history through the Maynooth studies in Local history series. I tried getting in touch with Andrews a while back and was told he lives in England now, but is still active. He just released another book on maps about three months ago. The guys in the Glucksman in Trinity are always very helpful - sorry but I dont know anything about Kilkenny myself.

There are a sub-series of books under the Maynooth guides, the two I have read (Enclosure of the commons in Dalkey and the Dublin Liberties) have used maps, and are worth a look. There are a good few books in the series, so you may find something on Kilkenny. Each book has a list of previously published titles (sorry I dont have either close to hand to check for you)

I would be very interested in this!

Advertisement