Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea delivery services

Options
  • 20-11-2009 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

Hi,

does anyone else have a problem with handing over cash, or bank transfering money to a stranger in a white van, to get goods delivered from Ikea? They all seem to want payment in advance which I am very slow to do when I don't know them. Has anyone else had an issue with this or know of any solutions?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

if you live outside dublin city center it is far far cheaper to use the delivery service at ikea - i got my stuff sent to waterford for 125 yo yos- other places that do "delivery" wanted 400 odd euro....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

pms7 wrote: »
    Hi,

does anyone else have a problem with handing over cash, or bank transfering money to a stranger in a white van, to get goods delivered from Ikea? They all seem to want payment in advance which I am very slow to do when I don't know them. Has anyone else had an issue with this or know of any solutions?

aren't the delivery company based within the ikea store though? i got a delivery from them and it was fine- 30 for a pax wardrobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pms7

Thanks for that. Do you have to be in the store to deal with them? I need it bought and delivered without calling to Ikea.
    I don't know why delivery guys can't buy on credit card and then collect cash or bank draft on delivery. I know they are all probably genuine delivery services, but you would have no comeback if a guy disappeared with your cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

there dosent seem to be facility to order a delivery online -
    you have to go instore as far as i know -(i had to go to dublin myself)
    the guys in there are very professional and are not your average "guy in a white van"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Thanks for that. Do you have to be in the store to deal with them? I need it bought and delivered without calling to Ikea.
    I don't know why delivery guys can't buy on credit card and then collect cash or bank draft on delivery. I know they are all probably genuine delivery services, but you would have no comeback if a guy disappeared with your cash.

If they're doing deliveries for a lot of people they can't really be expected to pay for everything up front. Plus what if they turn up and someone says they've changed their mind - they're stuck with the stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Used them before but as noted you have to be in the store to do it. You pay for all your items (including sofas and stuff that is reserved) and simply walk over to the delivery area and sort out everything there (inc. payment for the delivery).

Can't recall ever doing it online though and I highly doubt that they want to deal with cash on delivery etc. for the reasons noted above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Blue van man

Hi,

Hi,
    To do a runner with such small amounts of cash would be silly and you wouldn't stay in business very long. I do Ikea deliveries from both Northern Ireland and Dublin. My biggest orders would be around €1200 no lets face it where is that going to get me.

I take credit transfers for the money which is totally safe and can be traced and I also give my name and address for security to confirm with your transfer. I had a customer in Cork who I purchased for at nearly €1000 tell me he didn't like the stuff and could I bring it back at my own expense.

If you don't want to hand over cash or do a transfer then meet the delivery company instore in Ikea and pay for the stuff yourself and just get it delivered. You cannot have it always you would not get any shop to deliver to you COD. Ikea don't take credit card payments over the phone or do a reserve and collect service.

If you are using an independent delivery company ask for references and speak to them about what service they received and also ask what they bought so you know they are not family and friends. Say something like did you get "The lycksele sofa and what was it like" or what colour did you get. Was it easy to put together? etc etc.

Most companys I know can have real headaches from customers. I had it recently from a customer who wanted stuff in Belfast and one of the items wasn't available and she wanted to cancel the whole order.

Think about it from a business point of view you are paying for somebody to shop for you. If they don't provide the service you want you can sue them the same as you would any shop.

Its is as risk free as going to any other shop,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭time42play

there dosent seem to be facility to order a delivery online - you have to go instore as far as i know -(i had to go to dublin myself)

I can't understand why we don't have the ability to order online when it seems every other country with Ikea stores has that option. I'd be happy to buy from them if I didn't have to turn up in person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Blue van man

time42play wrote: »
    I can't understand why we don't have the ability to order online when it seems every other country with Ikea stores has that option. I'd be happy to buy from them if I didn't have to turn up in person.

Ikea don't have a delivery service themselves they use an independent and maybe this could have something to do with it?

They are happy taking your money instore and you leaving with the stock without having to cover insurance on delivery and waiting time etc.

I don't know wether you know this but as soon as you go through the till in Ikea every other service you use is an independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Phil D

I found this site for ordering and delivering IKEA furniture on-line and you can pay on-line, with a cheque or bank transfer. Personally I can't see myself handing over €400 cash with no guarantee, though I can understand how the delivery guy has to cover himself in case he shells out the money and then the customer changes their mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭randombar

Lads sorry to resurrect and old one, girlfriend rang up there today at it's 175 for up to 300kgs and 6 euro per kg over. Thing is how the hell do I know how heavy a kitchen and a few beds n stuff is??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,834 ✭✭✭✭cormie

If you go to the product page for each item you want and go to the "product information", you will see under the "package weight and dimensions" the weight of the flatpack :)

Lads I found a fella online that was fantastic after, way less than ikeas delivery service and delivers much sooner too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

I used the delivery service in store and couldn't be happier.
    Asked when it would be delivered and was told the next day. Sure enough there it was.

Maybe it depends where you are getting it delivered to and how much.

They quoted me 850 euro for a van load to deliver to Cork. The guy I got delivered for much less.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Ikea have their own delivery service?

I can find a link, is there a minimum amount / cost?

I'm also in Waterford.

150 up to 300kgs and 3 euro per kg after that or something. My kitchen and wardrobe weighed 1200 kgs :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

wmpdd3 wrote: »

I'm also in Waterford.

No they don't. They outsource delivery to a 3rd party (I forget the name right now) who have a desk after the checkouts.

If you ring Ikea, they can give you the number for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭ruffmut

I used this lad <SNIP> from the mottly crew http://www.themottlycrew.ie/

Transferred money to him through pay pal. He did the shopping for me and delivered to Kerry. He was great to deal with and had no problems. Paid for the delivery when he delivered the goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

wmpdd3 wrote: »

I'm also in Waterford.

PM me for the details of the local guy we used.

Be aware, though, that Ikea don't always have the stuff you want in stock so it may take a couple of trips to get everything. I think the guy we used goes up twice a week.

SSE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ehmuhlee

I used <SNIP> of the Mottly Crew in December and it's not April and I have not yet been refunded for my items that "were not in stock." (I went to the store while in Dublin and found that they in fact were in stock at the time). <SNIP> has also neglected to respond to any phone calls, texts or emails I have made regarding my refund of over 80 euro. Still waiting... I'm sure I'll be waiting for the rest of my life.

Beware. He's a nice guy, but this is incredibly <SNIP> and unprofessional. I would seriously consider using someone else.

Advertisement