Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad move?

Options
  • 20-11-2009 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Okay I'm not quite sure what to do.

I'm working at the moment in a job that I hate, that has unbearable hours & it's just crap.
    I would love to be out of here as I have been having issues with them lately & it's stressing me out badly.

I've been offered an interview as a stock assistant which is much more central & something I'd like to change to for experience. But it's temporary

Now here's the problem.. My oh was out of work for a few weeks & has managed to get christmas work in a shop. He has done tons of overtime & is in their goodbooks as he's hoping to be kept on.

Would it be silly of me to go for a temp position at this time as we are renting & don't know for sure if he will be kept on?

I appreciate any advice on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

purpledots wrote: »
    Okay I'm not quite sure what to do.

I'm working at the moment in a job that I hate, that has unbearable hours & it's just crap.
    I would love to be out of here as I have been having issues with them lately & it's stressing me out badly.

I've been offered an interview as a stock assistant which is much more central & something I'd like to change to for experience. But it's temporary

Now here's the problem.. My oh was out of work for a few weeks & has managed to get christmas work in a shop. He has done tons of overtime & is in their goodbooks as he's hoping to be kept on.

Would it be silly of me to go for a temp position at this time as we are renting & don't know for sure if he will be kept on?

I appreciate any advice on this.

Personally, I'd take it, 12 month ago I'd have said absolutely no, but sometimes you have to trust your gut feeling. If you are sure this is a good move, go for it. Be sure you can get something new and beneficial from this job as you are taking a big risk taking a temp job, but that could open new opportunities. One danger I see is that this may be an easy way out of a sh*te situation. Be sure you do it for the right reasons. At least you have a choice, not a bad place to be at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,799 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What's the worst that could happen: you don't find anything else at the end of the temp job, and your partner doesn't get kept on ... and you both sign-on and have to pay the rent from your benefit. Would this see you on the street homeless? Or just ordinary poor?

How short-term is the job you've been offered? If it's less than a month, I'd say "no, don't do it". If it's more than three months, I'd say "give it a go". If it's in the middle ... not so sure.

In general, I agree with the previous poster re following your instincts.

Advertisement