Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

motorway speed

Options
  • 20-11-2009 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I was driving on the motorway between Moate & Athlone today, They an undercover car parked on lay-by with a gun , I was doing about 130km in fast lane overtaking 3 vehicles in the slow lane & they were vehicles in front of me going faster, i slowed down immediately when i seen the undercover car. can the camera pick up just one car at a time or few cars at a time, do they have to go after you to issue fine & penalty points, or will they give it in the post, or am i ok will i get away with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

They would need to chase you but they would not bother for 130kph, in fact if your speedo said 130kph then it is unlikely you were going much faster than 120kph in reality anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Saruman wrote: »
    They would need to chase you but they would not bother for 130kph, in fact if your speedo said 130kph then it is unlikely you were going much faster than 120kph in reality anyway.

Yeah +1, i'd seriously doubt you were actually doing greater than 120km/h, but even if you were they would have chased you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 moosh112

Tanx god me was really worried!!! ive enough worries in life witout a lack of concentration driving up my insurance. tanx for peace of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

moosh112 wrote: »
    I was driving on the motorway between Moate & Athlone today, They an undercover car parked on lay-by with a gun , I was doing about 130km in fast overtaking lane overtaking 3 vehicles in the slow lane inner lanes & they were vehicles in front of me going faster, i slowed down immediately when i seen the undercover car. can the camera pick up just one car at a time or few cars at a time, do they have to go after you to issue fine & penalty points, or will they give it in the post, or am i ok will i get away with it.

Fixed that for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Edumacation, they needs it. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If they had a speed gun, then they would have had to chase you, stop you and inform you of the fine and points.

If they had a fixed camera, then you'll get the notice in the post.

It's unlikely that they had the fixed camera, and it's unlikely that you'll be done for speeding at 130 kmph. They'll be looking for bigger fish to fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭bop1977

@longshanks

Originally Posted by moosh112
    I was driving on the motorway between Moate & Athlone today, They an undercover car parked on lay-by with a gun , I was doing about 130km in fast overtaking lane overtaking 3 vehicles in the slow lane inner lanes DRIVING LANE & they were vehicles in front of me going faster, i slowed down immediately when i seen the undercover car. can the camera pick up just one car at a time or few cars at a time, do they have to go after you to issue fine & penalty points, or will they give it in the post, or am i ok will i get away with it.

Fixed your fix;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

in fairness, he did say he was overtaking and a rose by any other name etc...(in my experiance the outer lane is actually the lane for people driving slightly slower than me....)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Tanx god me was really worried!!! ive enough worries in life witout a lack of concentration driving up my insurance. tanx for peace of mind

The lack of concentration on your part should be more concerning than the concern of points!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 moosh112

I was concentrating just not upto the high standards i set myself. i pride myself on my driving and tanx for fixing my grammer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well if they didnt chase you it means its okay.

I had similar situation, but i was doing 140km/h overtaking in fast lane few cars and huge truck. they were shooting, but newer stoped me... Was worried, untill a fella in car trade business said: they will stop you if they got shot you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

I was driving on the motorway between Moate & Athlone today, They an undercover car parked on lay-by with a gun , I was doing about 130km in fast lane overtaking 3 vehicles in the slow lane & they were vehicles in front of me going faster, i slowed down immediately when i seen the undercover car. can the camera pick up just one car at a time or few cars at a time, do they have to go after you to issue fine & penalty points, or will they give it in the post, or am i ok will i get away with it.
    You lucky bugger for getting above 100kph on the motorway. Last Sunday evening after the Rugby match heading back to Limerick, I was stuck at 90kph due to Dublin/Kildare and Laois Registered cars clogging both slow and fast lanes and travelling at the same speed on the M7. Earlier on the N7 on the three lanes between Dublin and Naas, I had to easily overtaking them at 80kph on the first slow lane.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

There are NO fast lanes in Ireland,, only Overtaking lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Actually there is something wrong with penalties for speeding.
    On motorway you get the same penalty (2 points and 80 euros) for doing 121km/h and 160km/h.

Of course many guards wouldn't bother stopping someone doing 121km/h but they could if they wanted.

I would see something like this more reasonalbe:

speeding between:
    1 - 10 km/h - 20 euro penalty
    11 - 20 km/h - 60 euro penalty + 1 penalty point
    21 - 30 km/h - 100 euro + 2 penalty points
    31 - 40 km/h - 200 euro + 3 penalty points
    41 and over - mandatory court case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Note to Kildare people, the Fast or what you like to call it overtaking lane was not used as an overtaking lane last Sunday evening by many Kildare cars. They were travelling at the same speed as the slow/normal lane traffic and at times slower that the left hand lane.

Here the Rules of the Road for using lanes.
    http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/motorways/on-the-motorway.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Even if you printed that onto a motorway billboard no one would pay attention to it. A lot of people don't care what overtaking lanes are for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

did i read some where a formula the gards use of speed limit plus 10% plus 3km/h to calculate the speed over which they will actually book you ?
    I recently bought a GPS speedo and checked all our cars, all reading around 10% high according to the GPS, no two the same!
    Reading up on GPS speedos on the 'net it seems they can be relied on as accuarate, and so I would hope with billons of dollars of satelite etc involved.(wouldnt want a missile bound for Tehran to be hitting Kuwait City or suchlike :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭patmartino

squod wrote: »
    Even if you printed that onto a motorway billboard no one would pay attention to it. A lot of people don't care what overtaking lanes are for.

A lot of people do not have the skills to be driving full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

corktina wrote: »
    did i read some where a formula the gards use of speed limit plus 10% plus 3km/h to calculate the speed over which they will actually book you ? ........
    that's the way it definitely works in UK, but I'm not 100% about over here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 jasonpbmw

does anybody here remember a car chase involving the gardai back in 2003 on the road fromathlone to moath?? if you do i have very good story to tell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

I didnt think /realise that the speedo error was as high as 10% in most cars (apart from maybe small Fiats!)So at 130 indicated youd only be doing 117?!Thats very surprising.I thought Autocar magazine used do scientific tests on this kinda thing and theyd only be out by...Hmmm now that I think about it in mph as opposed to kmh they WERE out by maybe(just) a bit under 10%...Makes me even more dubious about the 'alleged' 81 in a 50 I was 'caught' for a year or so again ...no way I was doin nearly 90 on my clock on that road...

well? anyone remember it?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

jasonpbmw wrote: »
    well? anyone remember it?

Doesn't look like it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ytareh wrote: »
    I didnt think /realise that the speedo error was as high as 10% in most cars (apart from maybe small Fiats!)So at 130 indicated youd only be doing 117?!Thats very surprising.I thought Autocar magazine used do scientific tests on this kinda thing and theyd only be out by...Hmmm now that I think about it in mph as opposed to kmh they WERE out by maybe(just) a bit under 10%...Makes me even more dubious about the 'alleged' 81 in a 50 I was 'caught' for a year or so again ...no way I was doin nearly 90 on my clock on that road...

Speedo overread is anywhere from basically nothing (Citroen digital speedos are about as close to spot on as you're ever going to get) to about 10%, and it can get worse if you change wheel size. If you put bigger rolling radius wheels/tyres on a car with a very accurate speedo you can actually get under-read where it indicates more than your doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ytareh wrote: »
    I didnt think /realise that the speedo error was as high as 10% in most cars (apart from maybe small Fiats!)So at 130 indicated youd only be doing 117?!Thats very surprising.

They are out on purpose to avoid law suits against car makers. I use GPS for years and it's quite impressive, how much out some are.

The worst I've seen was a Dodge Stratus in the states, that was out over 10 mph (16 km/h), most cars are out by in and around 5-10 km/h.

And yes, GPS is precise, but the reading can be delayed, if it doesn't see enough satelites.

In the BMW's with the multifunction display, there is a hidden service mode, that will give you a precise reading in digital on the multi-function display, while the analog speedo is out.

As for the way, what Garda book you for, in Denmark it's 3 km/h they take of the reading they got and that's what they book you for. I'd say it's something similar here.

/M

Doesn't look like it.
    ok, well if they do, make sure put up a post, ive a good story about how thourough athlone gardai are in there search of cars and the like, its a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Most, if not, all modern car speedos overestimate. Be careful if you drive a classic, speedos tend to be accurate or underestimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

2 stroke wrote: »
    Most, if not, all modern car speedos overestimate. Be careful if you drive a classic, speedos tend to be accurate or underestimate.

Yep. And if you change your wheels to a different size, than what was originally on there, the amount your speedo is off also changes.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭unkel

MYOB wrote: »
    Speedo overread is anywhere from basically nothing (Citroen digital speedos are about as close to spot on as you're ever going to get) to about 10%

Something close enough to that ;)

Do a search here and you'll find plenty of my posts, even linking to the relevant EU legislation. Or if you'd rather take my word for it, the speedo should show any speed between the actual speed and the actual speed plus 10% plus 4km/h. So a real speed of 160km/h should show as somewhere between 160km/h and 180km/h (160+16+4).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Shires

Thanks for the reminder.

Advertisement