Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lights for Stable

Options
  • 20-11-2009 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a stable some 70 metres from my garage and because of all this bad weather we are using the stable more and more. But it would be nice to have light in it.

Basically all I require is 2 light bulbs (no need for fluorescents), and a light switch or even a plug in a socket to switch the lights on and off. Both are to come on and off together, they are not to be independent.

At the garage I've an outside socket, can I run use this as my feed to the stable?

My question is what should I plan to get done, not wanting to spend much money on it and would like to avoid having someone else do this (if possible). So its only lights, no equipment/tools power is required.

Is this something for a novice or not?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I am no expert, but I would avoid doing this completely on your own. The advice of an electrician with relevant experience would be invaluable. The benefit of his expertise is that he would be able to address the many safety issues - how to make the cable safe from interference from vehicles and animals, for example, and to make sure water doesn't get near it.

The electrical work isn't that complicated, but there is probably a good bit of 'donkey work' involved in burying the cable, drilling holes, putting up conduit, etc. You could do some of this work yourself in accordance with the electrician's advice and so keep the bill down.

You might be as well leaving a facility for bringing a more substantial supply to the stable, when you are at it. How complex this will be, you need to ask the electrician.

The one thing to avoid is a jerry-rigged setup with extension cables flying all over the place. This is a recipe for all sorts of trip accidents and various sorts of foul-ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

Maybe something like this would do the job
    http://www.ecofreak.co.uk/products/35/10/Solar-Mate-I---DIY-Solar-Lighting-Kit.html

The light is only needed for about 10 or 20mins a day for feeding. Or would the above be a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Hi,

Is the shed socket on it's own supply from the CU? You could take a Fused supply to the stable. You'll need SWA cable buried and marked accordingly. Terminate the supply at the stable and connect it the light switch and feed your two lights.
    At the stable you'll need to decide where you want the light switch or have two switches feeding the lights. Have both lights switched together.

At times it would be easy to consult an electrician for what you need. But it can be done if you have the skill and ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 liambar

Hi,
    I would advise to get a registered electrical contractor(RECI/ECSSA Registered). Also IP rated fittings have to be used in stables.

liambar

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

liambar wrote: »
    Hi,
    I would advise to get a registered electrical contractor(RECI/ECSSA Registered). Also IP rated fittings have to be used in stables.

liambar

+1
    lamp holders here will not do the trick, and believe it or not a stable is a difficult area to light. Vapor from horse urine can destroy a standard vapor proof fitting. Not the advice you wanted I know, hopefully is it’s a naturally ventilated area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭mac_iomhair

dp639 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a stable some 70 metres from my garage and because of all this bad weather we are using the stable more and more. But it would be nice to have light in it.

Basically all I require is 2 light bulbs (no need for fluorescents), and a light switch or even a plug in a socket to switch the lights on and off. Both are to come on and off together, they are not to be independent.

At the garage I've an outside socket, can I run use this as my feed to the stable?

My question is what should I plan to get done, not wanting to spend much money on it and would like to avoid having someone else do this (if possible). So its only lights, no equipment/tools power is required.

Thanks in advance.

make life easier for yourself in the short and long term, ring a spark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

dp639 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks in advance.

I have a similar ssituation with outhouse in isolated part of farm.
    I got myself down to ALDI and picked up one of their generators when they were last on offer. €89 as I remember. Simple bit of cable and bulb holder pluss plug is all that is needed to plug into your genny :o
    Genny is then handy for powering all sorts of tools away from fixed power sources.

Could do your job grand.

R1

Advertisement