Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cd wow and Call of duty modern warfare 2

Options
  • 20-11-2009 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

i bought call of duty modern warfare 2 on cd wow for Eur50 it arrived late and i was expected to pay Eur 16.75 as the game was delievered from switzerland??
    has this ever happened any one??
    i told the postman to return to sender!!
    im not paying that money when i could get it in the shop for the same price, i only ordered online because i thought it would be sold out in the shops!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Last time I ordered from cdwow it shipped from the UK, I didn't think anyone was using them anymore due to the massive issues they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If it's coming from outside Ireland, then it's subject to VAT and duty. Best thing to do is to buy from retailers within the EU zone (but not on Jersey i.e. Play.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

dudara wrote: »
    If it's coming from outside Ireland, then it's subject to VAT and duty. Best thing to do is to buy from retailers within the EU zone (but not on Jersey i.e. Play.com)

No if it's coming from outside the EU it's subject to VAT & Duty

Mistype on my part - you are right - items outside the EU are subject to VAT and Duty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 TheBuzzsaw

ya i know about the vat but it never said that it was being delievered from outside the eu, the way it was written i thought it was coming from the uk, so thats why im pretty annoyed

• Advertisement

I've had a quick look on cdwow.co.uk and I couldn't see anything about shipping locations - I may have missed it though.

Get in touch with their customer service and make a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

In the same boat here. I ordered 2 weeks ago and yesterday I get a letter saying that the package is held at the Customs & Excise office. Turns out CDWOW.ie ships from Hong Kong! At least, it did for Modern Warfare 2..
    I wonder what Region Code will be on the box when it eventually arrives..

Anybody have any luck getting this extra payment refunded by CDWOW? Nowhere on their website does it even mention VAT or Import Duty to be paid on goods.
    If I wanted to order something from Hong Kong, I would've gone to their Hong Kong website. But I ordered from the Irish one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 TheBuzzsaw

hey hoku, i refused to pay for it at the door and asked to return to sender i then emailed cdwow and said i want a refund.
    they told me that they wud ave paid the duty charge by way of a voucher however as i ave sent it back they will give me a full refund when they recieve the product back.
    my game was sent from switzerland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Hoku wrote: »
    Turns out CDWOW.ie ships from Hong Kong!
    I ordered a bunch of CDs from them and they all came from Hong Kong. No duty though as the value was €8.99 for each item, or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

TheBuzzsaw wrote: »
    i bought call of duty modern warfare 2 on cd wow for Eur50 it arrived late and i was expected to pay Eur 16.75 as the game was delievered from switzerland??
    has this ever happened any one??
    i told the postman to return to sender!!
    im not paying that money when i could get it in the shop for the same price, i only ordered online because i thought it would be sold out in the shops!

Looks like they will refund your customs charges in E vouchers

I got the following response from their customer service:

To: ***********
    Subject: CD WOW!
    Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 14:49:50 +0000

Hello *****,

Thank you for contacting us.

I would like to inform you that all the goods are dispatched from our warehouse based in Hong Kong.

CDWOW offers a delivery service whereby all these costs have been paid in advance, however, if you you pay these charges then you can send a copy of your Customs Receipt to us so that we can reimburse you via an E-voucher?

I would also like to inform you that it is not necessary that each and every item is stuck in the customs, they are rare which are caught.

If there is anything else we can do for you please don't hesitate to get back to us.

Kind Regards,
    **** | Customer Services Representative
    CDWOW!

• Advertisement

Just got a similar email.
    Anyone know where these E-vouchers could be redeemed? Will it be like a "credit note" which can only be used at CDWOW?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Yep thats usually how it works. They cant issue a voucher for another site surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭grudgebringer

SAme here with the customs letter, waiting on 2 packages from CDWOW, Revenue must be really clamping down on CDWOW imports as I never had trouble before. I guess it's more on the drive to keep spending inside the country, trouble is though I cannot get it touch with the Customs people to find out the status .... they requested invoice or evidence of the goods cost which I provided but they never responded to me so I have no idea where the items are ..... :(

It took me a while to get through to them on the phones, but they do answer. Just keep trying the phone number that was on the letter you received.
    I only received the game this morning, so it took a further week to get it from Customs to the final destination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Spaco

I ordered it from the cdwow.com site and got it over 2 weeks later with the 16.75 charge. Not a happy panda at all.
    Supposedly An Post take 6 quid out of the 16 as a collection charge on behalf of Customs.... now that's a big wtf!!!
    Didn't know we could get an e-voucher, but does this not start a vicious circle; I order, use discount, pay duty, get voucher, repeat? Looks like someone is getting cdwow vouchers for Chrimbo.....

Apparently, items under €20 don't get "taxed". So you could get something cheap-ish and use the voucher on that.
    I noticed that on the package it said that the declared value was GBP17.99... No wonder it was diverted at Customs.

You could try and write a very angry letter and demand that they refund it to your account/card. At no stage during the order process was it even mentioned that goods may be subject to local import duty, and had they declared the value of the package correctly, it probably wouldn't have been stopped at Customs.

Hoku wrote: »
    had they declared the value of the package correctly, it probably wouldn't have been stopped at Customs.

I'm a bit confused by what you mean here. If they had declared the value of the game correctly, then it clearly would have been over the import limit and definitely likely to be stopped.

Taken from DHL
    Gifts from one private individual to another up to the value of €45 and commercial shipments up to €22 are usually exempt from VAT. Import Duty is generally applied when the value of the contents exceeds €150.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Spaco wrote: »
    I ordered it from the cdwow.com site and got it over 2 weeks later with the 16.75 charge. Not a happy panda at all.
    Supposedly An Post take 6 quid out of the 16 as a collection charge on behalf of Customs.... now that's a big wtf!!!
    Didn't know we could get an e-voucher, but does this not start a vicious circle; I order, use discount, pay duty, get voucher, repeat? Looks like someone is getting cdwow vouchers for Chrimbo.....

And An Post are supposed to Customs Clear it, and pay out the VAT and Duty in advance for nothing? Customs clearance is normally €30-40 a go, so €6 seems reasonable to me. Not so if you weren't expecting to pay anything, though.

Advertisement