Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Questions to ask when buying a new car

Options
  • 20-11-2009 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

I'm seriously considering buying a new SEAT Leon 1.4 petrol. I'm going to have a look at one this weekend, is there any particular questions to ask when buying a new car so I dont look completely green?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Best thing is to sit down in advance and make a list of everything you want to know. Don't worry about what the salesperson thinks, they're there to answer your questions. And if there's anything you're not 100% sure you understand, ask again. Assuming you've found the right make/model for you, it all really comes down to price. If you have a trade-in, don't be distracted by discounts/trade-in values - the only figure that matters is the cost to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I think looking at the service history also helps. See if the car has been well maintained and if there's been any major work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Ush1 wrote: »
    I think looking at the service history also helps. See if the car has been well maintained and if there's been any major work done.

I could be wrong but I took it that was new as in brand new off the forecourt. Maybe OP can clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Ush1 wrote: »
    OP is after a new car.

It's a lot more straightforward than a used cars, in terms of the number of dangers. That said, before you take ownership of the car, check everything - new cars can come with niggly electrical proplems, and it'll be a lot easier to get them looked after before you sign off. google 'used car checklist' and print it off, or you will forget something.

If you are also trading in, negotiate with the dealer on the 'cost to change', don't let him bring any other figures into the equation, and make sure the figures he gives include all charges - delivery, petrol, whatever.

Other than that, read through the warranty (they are not all created equal) and get the dealer to spell out any details your not clear about.

Most importantly, take your time. You will be control of this transaction, if you decide to go ahead with it. Make it perfectly clear that you will not be rushed or pressured into making any decisions. If he offers a price for 'today only' do not be afraid to laugh in his face - it will be available tomorrow, and it will be less next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

That's what I thought too, although if not Ush1's advice is sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

Thanks for the advice lads.

It's a new car with no trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

My mistake lads, still wasn't awake!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

censuspro wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering buying a new SEAT Leon 1.4 petrol. I'm going to have a look at one this weekend, is there any particular questions to ask when buying a new car so I dont look completely green?

Ask him: "do you have the 2.0 16v TFSI Cupra 310 instead of the 1.4?" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Why the 1.4? And why a new 1.4? The road tax on the new ones is higher than 07 models. Plus the 07 ones aren't too expensive either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Once you have gone through everything take all the information, and do it all again at another dealer. By doing this you will see a better deal present itself, either at the second dealer or back at the first. Whatever you do do not sign anything or leave a deposit after your first visit.

As I cash buyer you have all the cards, so haggle hard.

Sorry if the dealers here don't like that advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

Why the 1.4? And why a new 1.4? The road tax on the new ones is higher than 07 models. Plus the 07 ones aren't too expensive either

Thats a good point. I'm going to look into that, I've gone off the idea of buying a brand new car when I can get a very nice second hand fur alot less.

I've also started to look at a 2008 Ford Focus 1.6 Diesel. Any thoughts over the Leon?

Advertisement