Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for wireless broadband??

Options
  • 20-11-2009 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I have just bought a new laptop and would like to get wireless broadband. I am currently with Irish Broadband (for my desktop) and I think it is the Breeze package. What would i have to do to get wireless? is it just a matter of buying a wireless router and plugging it into the modem or is it more complicated than that. I apologise for my ignorance regarding this but I'm not very up on the whole broadband thing.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Yep, you have to buy a wireless router for " cable " connections and follow the set up instructions....as for the best router everyone has their opinion, I like D-Link as they are normally very good with multiple consoles...but I find netgear the easiest to set up, something like this http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6758899/Trail/searchtext%3ENETGEAR.htm, you dont need the dongle but it will allow another PC to become wireless if needed in the future. Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Eastofeden

Thank you maninaskirt. And will this give me internet access throughout the whole house or will there be areas that I will not be able to get signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Yes, you might have to mess around with different channels as neighbours routers can interfere as can Digisenders, cordless phones almost most wireless/cordless devices " can " interfere, usually just selecting the right channel will resolve this. It sounds scary but there is a wireless control panel in the router software that makes it easy enough. If you are struggling with set up there are very informed people on here that always help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Eastofeden

brilliant, thanks so much for ur help. I'll give it a go and if i'm having any problems I'll come on here for help. Thanks again. :D

Advertisement