Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professional Economic Experiment (Pee)

Options
  • 20-11-2009 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

I'm trying something out on a new server, just to see if it's possible.

I made a deathknight, and did the starting area quests. Then I went to stormwind (happened to be alliance) when it sent me there. Once there, I didn't do any more quests on the character, and kept my money total as it was coming out of the starting area.

The test was to learn enchanting, and see how high I could level it using auctioneer advanced for finding disenchantable items, and selling off any excess mats I DE, and low level scrolls for certain items (eg. +5Str on bracers).

So far i'm sitting at 240 enchanting, and i'm waiting on a decent amount of gold coming through in the post.

As DKs automatically can level a profession to 375 due to their starting level, the experiment is to see if I can get there. If I can, I can DE any BoE items available at lvl 80. So effectively this character could continue to make money hand over fist.

If this is the case, you could create a DK on any new server (once you have at least 1 lvl 55 toon of course), and level enchanting slowly to the point where you could build up cash enough before you make any other characters on that server. Thus making yourself financially independant from the get go.

I'll keep you updated if you want, how i'm getting on :D

Just thought i'd mention it, as it seems pretty easy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,022 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

hax1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Sounds awesome keep up updated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;63097871'] (once you have at least 1 lvl 55 toon of course)

Not being at home so unable to check, and having the memory of a goldfish so I am not 100% sure, but I know I've created Death Knights on servers where I've had nothing but a level 20 character or even less.

Great experiment anyhow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

You can start a DK on a fresh server. It's as long as you have a lvl 55 on at least 1 server. Unless they removed that, and I didn't read it. Not paid much attention to DKs tbh. Disney class.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It used to be that you needed a lvl55 on the same server before you could create a DK, but thats since been changed iirc.

• Advertisement

I have my alt druid up at 250 enchanting, so I doubt id use this but it would be handy to know like...

Not throwing away the work i put into enchanting on this haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

I played a hunter as my first char for a yr and a half, and took leatherworking and skinning. The leatherworking is 412 and skinning is maxed out. then took a break for nearly 2 yrs. When i came back i lvl'ed a DK - he is maxed out on blacksmithing and mining. when my dk hit 80 i decided to make a few alts (8 in total).

- lvl 46 Rogue with enchanting and tailoring. Tailoring is at 300 and enchanting is 266.

- lvl 40 pally with inscription and herbalism. Inscription is at 181 and herbalism is at 259.

- lvl 20 driud with alchemy and herbalism. alchemy is at 200 and herbalism is at 123.

- lvl 25 shaman with engineering and mining. Engineering is at 225 and mining is at 162.

With the other alts having either mining/herbalism/skinning. Lvling up all these profs keeps me interested in WoW. And i very rarely spend and gold on mats. The only problem i find with having profs is lvling the chars so you can lvl ur prof once its hit your cap for your lvl.

And the beauty of it is, i dont get a hell of a lot of time to play WoW. I work long hours and have a family to keep me busy:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

could you do dailys for more money than slowly levelling enchanting on a character you'll never play?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

DRakE wrote: »
    could you do dailys for more money than slowly levelling enchanting on a character you'll never play?

Biggest money spinner for me so far has been making titansteel bars which sell for 130+ gold a bar. And with titanium ore being pretty easy to aquire in wintergrasp, providing you put a little effort into mining you can make quiet a few gold from it. Dailys are just too repetitive for me, even more so than lvling a new char.

As the title thread states, it's an experiment based around professions. So no. Because that would be called just playing your character, rather than trying out an experiment.
    ex·per·i·ment (k-spr-mnt)
    n.
    a. A test under controlled conditions that is made to demonstrate a known truth, examine the validity of a hypothesis, or determine the efficacy of something previously untried.
    b. The process of conducting such a test; experimentation.

This test is to determine how possible it is to level enchanting by itself without having to fund it from dailies, or quests. As most professions are either gathering, or money intensive, i'm trying to see if a profession can effectively level itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

it was possible to level enchanting on my server, shattered hand, horde enchanting to 337 atm for less that 180g but i did save all my outland greens the rest i just bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I did this on whatever realm bad charlie used to play on. He gave me 100gold to get started, and by the time i was level 21 i had over 4k gold just from selling low level ore, cloth and boe greens. Iirc light feathers were my bigest earner back then too. Before i deleted the toon i decided to spread the love and give the money to the person with the best joke. Dunno how doable it would be now as this was back in tbc times when certain things were alot cheaper.

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;63120116']As the title thread states, it's an experiment based around professions. So no. Because that would be called just playing your character, rather than trying out an experiment.

This test is to determine how possible it is to level enchanting by itself without having to fund it from dailies, or quests. As most professions are either gathering, or money intensive, i'm trying to see if a profession can effectively level itself.
    i'm too busy to look up the definition of waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

How exactly did you go about leveling it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

If you level your char to 62 (which isnt hard with all the starter dk quests), you can do professions to 450. An easier profession for this is inscription, though its gone a bit silly now since the addons etc make it too easy to relist so there are people who just sit at the AH pressing a button to cancelling and reposting all night while watching tv etc.

A few times I started a lvl 1 char, sold his equipment, and then raced to see how long it would take to get to 100g on the AH (no questing, killing etc). Its challenging at the start as you have so little (32c or something I think).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

i'm too busy to look up the definition of waste of time
    noun
    the devotion of time to a useless activity; "the waste of time could prove fatal"
    i.e. posting in a thread when you care nothing for the subject of the thread and only wish to point out how you dont care about the subject.

True story...

well that put me in my place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

I N D E E D

Enchanting 289, and 40g in the bank.

Between about 240, and 260 enchanting (based on the rules of this experiment), have been the hardest to level by far. Though this may change based on the server, the mats are difficult to come by, and the patterns are limited for the cheaper mats.

Now that i've gotten past 260 though, dream dust seems to be cheap, and is taking me the rest of the way to 300. When more comes on the AH, i'll easily get to where i'm going.

So far +5stam on boots, and +50/+70 armour on cloaks have sold reasonably well, but not fantastic. However, the +7 stamina on boots has just sold like hot cakes. As it goes for a higher price as well, it's netting a nice profit.

It's well worth trolling for Armour Vellums at reasonable prices, rather than just giving out free enchants, or repeatedly enchanting your own items.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

woah this is genius..

• Advertisement

300 enchanting now. Haven't logged onto the toon in a couple of days to see if auctions sold. Have to get the arcanite and fel iron rods made. Not looking forward to that. Have to barter a bit for the mats.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Anymore updates on this? I'm morbidly curious ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

Ivan wrote: »
    Anymore updates on this? I'm morbidly curious ;)

Ya surprisingly I am as well. Reminds me of the 80 days around Azeroth article there running in PC Gaming magazine.

324 at the moment. Gotta hit 325 for the next level of being able to DE. I'm waiting on some stuff to sell at the moment though. It's taking a while.

Pretty much i've learnt that even if it's possible to do this, it'll take a while lol.

Just started a DK on my server, is it worth doing, if you already have other 80's with maxed professions?

I've no enchanting and want to level this char quick enough, is this a complete sit by the Ah job?

Yeah, it's just sitting by the AH the whole time. A bit of travel to some vendors for BoP patterns, and outland for training.

The thing is, if you were starting a new character on a server, you could use this as a way to get your enchanting high enough to make some money, and have different professions on your main.

Alternatively, you could start off as a DK, and keep leveling it, so you'd have more money coming in at the same time, and would get your enchanting up so much faster.

But I guess if you were leveling a char on a new server, and you were going to make a bank toon, instead of a lvl 1 rogue, a 55+ DK could work just as well, and help make its own money too.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

hows this going mate?

still intrested in some info

Was kinda waiting till I actually pushed it over the 350 barrier for an update. Very slow of late tbh. Waiting on stuff to sell before I can get any further. 340 i'm up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,022 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So youve just replaced skinning and mining grinding with Auction grinding :)

• Advertisement

Yup. Gathering professions are easy to level. It's crafting professions that have always been a big problem. The thing is, at the end of leveling up to 375, I also have to see if I can make a decent amount of money on top of it.

Advertisement