Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Issue, need advice

Options
  • 20-11-2009 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭

I have a friend who has his broadband service from NTL 10Meg.

The service had been working fine until recently but then he had two issues

1. Every time he plays a Youtube video it jumps & jitters (I'm not talking about buffering)

2. Every time he makes a Skype call it breaks up in parts (you lose some of what he saying)

Both the Youtube & Skype have been working perfectly up to recently.

Troubleshooting steps we took:

I disconnected his NTL supplied Netgear router & connected direct via cable to the Motorola modem & it made no difference whatsoever.

I connected my laptop to his system & get exactly the same results as he does (jumpy Youtube & broken Skype)

When it's connected directly via cable his speed tests are returning a healthy 10 but on wireless it's returning a constant 2... Should there be such a drop in speeds over wireless? (just curious but eitherway it's not causing his problem because it's the same wired or wireless when it comes to Youtube & Skype).

Ping test's to google.ie return a constant 113ms while pings to eircom.net return 45ms

Then I went to the NTL maintenance page (192.168.100.1) & I see his "Receive Speed" is -6.5

On another neighbors NTL line the receive speed is +13

I'm not sure how significant the receive speed is but NTL claim it has no bearing on his issue.

The only other factor that has been recently thrown into the mix is that he got connected to the NTL VIOP home phone service but we can't be 100% sure that the problems arose because of that. Could that be significant?

Bottom line is that NTL are not having any of it & claim there's nothing wrong with the service. He has had countless phone contacts & keeps getting fobbed off to other numbers & they refuse to send out a technician.

Any ideas/advice as to where he should go from here?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭nin2010

I am having the same problem with my connection. Have you tried running a ping over a considerable length of time to check for packet loss? You might not see any problem over 4 replies but if I let it run I can see it returns replies fine for a while and then it could drop 3 or 4 out of 10 packets for a while. UPC also tell me my connection is fine and are basically trying to claim I have a vivid imagination rather than make an attempt to fix the problem.

"ping www.google.ie -t" will give you a ping that keeps going until you interrupt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BrotherGrim

Just something to rule out if your getting a dropped connection. If you can do a ping test from the router & the pc when the connection drops, might be related to a firewall/AV/Malware app locally. If thats not an option, disable them & test.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Just something to rule out if your getting a dropped connection. If you can do a ping test from the router & the pc when the connection drops, might be related to a firewall/AV/Malware app locally. If thats not an option, disable them & test.

I fully understand where you're coming from BrotherGrim but I have actually used my own machine connected to his Broadband connection & was getting the same results. His machine was out of the mix altogether so I discounted it being local to his PC?

He just got confirmation from them today that an engineer is calling to his house tomorrow, they want to eliminate a cable issue at his house or in the box/manhole on his street.

Whatever is causing his problem & it is definitely a genuine problem, it won't be solved by someone at the other end of the phone telling him to restart his modem/router time & time again (especially when the phone he is using is VOIP based NTL) & every time he restarts the Moto he loses the call :).

-

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement