Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 Best Price / Offer

Options
  • 19-11-2009 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I know there have been a few posts about Windows 7 for students but a non-student family member has decided to buy Windows 7 and has asked me to recommend which one would be most suitable. From what I could find on the web I would think that Windows 7 professional would be more than sufficient for any home user. I was wondering if anyone here has Windows 7 Pro and if they have run into any limitations when using it in a home environment.

Also does anyone know of any retail outlets in Ireland currently offering any discounts on Windows 7 Pro?

If I were to buy the software in the US (due to the poor dollar) would I then be able to use it in Ireland or would I have to buy it from within the EU?

Any and all feedback appreciated.

Regards,

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Windows 7 Home Premuim would also be fine for most home users. I'm using it at the minute and it's got everything I need. Check out this site to compare the different versions http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/windows7/products/compare

I bought mine on Amazon.co.uk. I'm not sure about buying it in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Home would be more than adequate unless of course you have any need for the extra features that come with pro. There is a better comparison here about halfway down

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

I think Windows 7 Home Premuim would be fine as well. I'm using it without any problem. I don't need to connect to a domain and I haven't found a need for xp mode yet. If its an upgrade you can buy a family upgrade pack that includes 3 licences for €149. Seems like good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

You can get win7 pro here for €50 http://www.software4students.ie/Microsoft_Windows_7_Professional_64_bit_Upgrade_Edition-details.aspx

You get the disc also, they dont even check if your a student really if you read the FAQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi Folks,

Many thanks for all the replies, unfortunately my family member needs pro for XP Mode. There are a few applications they run that are not available for Windows 7 yet.

@CyberWaste - Unfortuantely that great price is an upgrade only edition and it seems to explicitly prohibt a straight install.

Regards,

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,159 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No, Upgrade does not prohibit clean install. Its not as easy as full retail but sure, its also much much cheaper. Theres at least half a dozen workarounds for a clean install on an upgrade license - all of which are Legal if you qualify for Upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

PDD wrote: »
    Many thanks for all the replies, unfortunately my family member needs pro for XP Mode. There are a few applications they run that are not available for Windows 7 yet.

As a matter of interest, what are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ThePirateGay

I got Win 7 Ultimate for €0.00:o. Unfortunately, I cannot explain how I got such a great deal as it would result in a swift banning.:)

I just wanted to say how pleasing it is that people are shelling out copious amounts of cash for something which can be procured for nothing.

LOL!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I got Win 7 Ultimate for €0.00:o. Unfortunately, I cannot explain how I got such a great deal as it was result in a swift banning.:)

I just wanted to say how pleasing it is that people are shelling out copious amounts of cash for something which can be procured for nothing.

Good for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

I got Win 7 Ultimate for €0.00:o. Unfortunately, I cannot explain how I got such a great deal as it was result in a swift banning.:)

Best. Username. Ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I also got Ultimate for nada. From Microsoft.

testicle wrote: »

I have to say though, it warms my heart that people are generously supporting the Bill Gates foundation. I hear his gold-plated swimming pool is just a few sales away.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

testicle wrote: »

Me too!

;)

LOL I've informed them of the possabilities of the wibbly wobbly wonderweb but they want a genuine copy.

LOL I've informed them of the possabilities of the wibbly wobbly wonderweb but they want a genuine copy.

LOL Some people!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Wait, You started this thread looking for a place selling genuine copys... :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I have to say though, it warms my heart that people are generously supporting the Bill Gates foundation. I hear his gold-plated swimming pool is just a few sales away.:o
    He's got around $60 billion. I'm sure if he wanted a gold plated swimming pool he'd have it by now

• Registered Users Posts: 11 stevc1

Overheal wrote: »
    No, Upgrade does not prohibit clean install. Its not as easy as full retail but sure, its also much much cheaper. Theres at least half a dozen workarounds for a clean install on an upgrade license - all of which are Legal if you qualify for Upgrade.

I lost my XP disk when the builders were in last year.I still have my licence code so I would be very interested in how to install home premium upgrade without the XP disk.
    Could you please explain some of these workarounds.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

stevc1 wrote: »
    I lost my XP disk when the builders were in last year.I still have my licence code so I would be very interested in how to install home premium upgrade without the XP disk.
    Could you please explain some of these workarounds.

There is no work around needed last time I checked. You just put in your 7 disk and boot from it and let it go through the installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 stevc1

There is no work around needed last time I checked. You just put in your 7 disk and boot from it and let it go through the installation.

Thanks,
    Ill give a go at the week-end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

CyberWaste wrote: »
    You can get win7 pro here for €50 http://www.software4students.ie/Microsoft_Windows_7_Professional_64_bit_Upgrade_Edition-details.aspx

You get the disc also, they dont even check if your a student really if you read the FAQ.

Is this true as may order it here unless there are other bargains elsehwhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Bump

Anyone answer this or am I stuck buying it elsewhere ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭thebourke

is it possible to upgrade from windows xp to windows 7 using 'a windows 7 upgrade version'????
    i thought you needed a full version of windows 7 to do this

To the best of my knowlege if you have an existing installation of Windows then you can simply upgrade with the upgrade disc but if you need to do a fresh install then the upgrade disc cannot do this so you would have to put XP on it first or something.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

To the best of my knowlege if you have an existing installation of Windows then you can simply upgrade with the upgrade disc but if you need to do a fresh install then the upgrade disc cannot do this so you would have to put XP on it first or something.

Not the case - Win7 cannot upgrade from an XP install so you end up needing to do a custom install (ie from scratch) anyway.

It is only legal and within the terms of the EULA to do so with an Upgrade licence if you have a licence for XP which you are upgrading along the way, though. Also, see here for more info on what you need to do in order to be able to activate your licence successfully if you use the Upgrade option in this way.

Advertisement