Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stem cell cord blood collection / storage

Options
  • 19-11-2009 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello everyone,

we are the proud parents of a new baby boy( our first ).
    I would just like to give anyone interested in collecting stem cells any advice or help I can with regards to this as I know there are a few obstacles here in ireland.
    At the start of our pregnancy we decided that we would save money by going public and use this money to store our childs stem cells for future use. Medicare seemed to be our only option but they wanted 2800 ish plus they wanted the staff of our hospital to be trained.
    As many of you know irish hospitals have a policy not to allow collection so to get a hospital employee trained would be pretty much impossible.We did tentatively ask the hopital but the higher up we went the more negitive the response.
    So, I came across a company called cryosave. They only required 210 euro(medicare wanted 750) for the kit and the balance of approx 1550 euro when the cord blood had been tested. We decided to buy this kit and during the start of labour when we were sure who would be delivering our baby, ask if they wouldn't would mind collecting the cord blood. The woman, a lovely polish girl, said she would have no problem and on checking with her superior collected our blood. I rang dhl the next day and our sample was off to belgium for storage.
    long story I know( sorry) but I hope it helps someone

Advertisement