Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found a fossil? *pics*

Options
  • 19-11-2009 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey all, was visiting some relatives who live in a fairly secluded and wooded area, and snuck out into the woods for a "smoke" break.

I was walking around near a stream that used to be (or still is I guess) part of the nearby river, and found this barely visible, protruding from the side of a muddy hill.

Now I'm far from educated on the subject, but it looks like some kind of crocodilian tooth to me, though someone else suggested a vertebrae....

Anyways, can anybody give me an info/opinions?

Pics;

1257268042.jpg

1257268038.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It does look like it could be a (somewhat eroded) vertebrae, although I'm not certain. What kind of creature it's from I couldn't tell you.

It is definately not a crocodile tooth anyhow. In fact, it looks nothing like any kind of tooth I know.

A few more details would be useful. Where was it found? Could you take a size comparison pic with something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 theaxemurderer

Galvasean wrote: »
    It does look like it could be a (somewhat eroded) vertebrae, although I'm not certain. What kind of creature it's from I couldn't tell you.

It is definately not a crocodile tooth anyhow. In fact, it looks nothing like any kind of tooth I know.

A few more details would be useful. Where was it found? Could you take a size comparison pic with something?

It was found in Croswell, Michigan, out in the woods near a swampy type of area.

It's about the size of a small fist, but I'll take some comparison pictures with something soon.

Thanks for looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I would be another that thinks it resembles a vertebrae. Defo not a tooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Doesn't look lithified to me, to be honest, can you tell if it's made from bone or does it feel more rocky in texture? It could easily be just a bone of some animal indigenous to the area, though the fact that it was sticking out of the side of a hill could suggest otherwise.

Edit: Definitely not a tooth anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 theaxemurderer

Thanks for the info guys.

As I said, I'm very ignorant about the subject, but I thought for sure it was a tooth of some type. At least I know something more about it.

Person who suggested it was a vertebrae said so because of the hole going through the center, but wouldn't it need to be bigger to accomodate a spinal chord?

Doesn't look lithified to me, to be honest, can you tell if it's made from bone or does it feel more rocky in texture?

It has more of a rocky texture when you feel it, but also seems way too light in weight for a rock of it's size.
    the fact that it was sticking out of the side of a hill could suggest otherwise.

I thought that may mean something too, but wasn't sure.

The area is a type of valley, with steep hills on either side and a stream running through the center.

Gonna take those size comparison pics son as I can, but can't get to it at the moment.

Thanks again for the info guys.

• Advertisement

The sickener is that a vertebrate palaeontologist could probably tell you exactly what this is straight away, with measurements :D

Oh, what colour was the mud you got it from?

Advertisement