Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keyboard setup

Options
  • 19-11-2009 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got any tips for using shortcuts for FPS games on a PC? I've just got MW2 and can never seem to easily find the keys in need. eg crouch or nade.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

What's your favourite FPS?
    Re-map to it or get used to it.

I've been lobbing flash-bangs every day because 'Q' is the qucik-switch button in Source games.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Get yourself a mouse with more buttons. I find it really handy when playing FPS's.

Apart from that, you'll realy just have to learn where the keys are. Most FPS games have the default keys in the handiest of places (though some make a pigs ear of it). You just need to learn how to position your fingers and after a while it all comes naturally.

The way I do it (and assume most people do too) is when using WASD for directions, I keep my middle finger almost always on W, my index finger rests on the D, but pushes the E,R,F,X and C keys. My ring finger rests on A and also pushes the Q and Z key. My little finger pushes shift and CTRL, and my thumb hits the space bar.

Having a few extra buttons on your mouse helps when, say in MW2 the G key is used. You map it to your mouse and it saves you stretching across they keyboard, or like I always to, hitting F thinking you're hitting G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

humanji wrote: »
    Get yourself a mouse with more buttons. I find it really handy when playing FPS's.

Yeah, I've got a mouse with two extra buttons and a scrollwheel. This is handy, but in the case of MW2 I can't assign the scroll up/scroll down, like I could in WaW.

My keyboard isn't very suited to gaming so I'm temped to pick up a gaming keypad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Reassign the keys.

I tend to use ESDF rather then WASD as it frees up more keys to use, it can take a bit of getting used to but you don't need a wolf's paw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

My assigned keys:

space - prone
    ctrl - crouch
    shift - run/steady sniper
    mouse4 - flash/stun grenade
    mouse5 - frag grenade
    mwheeldown - jump
    mwheelup - knife
    Q - switch weapons
    E - use
    R - reload
    1 - noob tube if ever attached
    2 - UAV etc etc

That's most of them anyway. Tis how I played in cod4 as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Thank goodness for Steam Cloud... I absolutely love that feature as pretty much all my bindings are custom (being an accursed leftie of course)

My settings are usually:
    Num8 - Forward
    Num5 - Backward
    Num4 - Strafe Left
    Num6 - Strafe Right
    Up Key - Prone
    Down Key - Crouch
    Left Key - Jump
    Right Key - run/steady sniper
    Page Down - Use
    Num Enter - Reload

Then I have about 7 additional buttons on my mouse (other than Mouse 1, 2, 3 and scroll up/down) that I use for comms, grenades, health packs, inventory, maps... etc. Then there's also all the buttons around the num keys I use for moving that can be used for nightvision, quick weapon selection, spray, leaning left and right, quicksave... etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Reassign the keys.

I tend to use ESDF rather then WASD as it frees up more keys to use, it can take a bit of getting used to but you don't need a wolf's paw.

That's a great idea! gives me use of the QAZ keys. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Not normally a fan of Belkin products but the Belkin Nostromo SpeedPad n52 really is the business. I used to use one sometimes, but it depends on the game, I currently mostly play Arma II which needs most keys on the keyboard so I've not got it installed now.

STD1_F8GFPC100.jpg

Advertisement