Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I'm looking for a vehicle auction.

Options
  • 19-11-2009 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

I was talking to a guy randomly in some Wicklow forest carpark about cars and vans and he said i should check out the auctions for repossesd cars that are to be auctioned off to get a bit of cash back for the bank. He said there were two places in Dublin for it. He said that you can check under the bonnet but can't take it for a test drive. And that there were pretty good buys, except for the risk of buying something you can't test drive. Does anybody konw the places i'm talking about and where i can locate them?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

the main one is Merlin motors auctions....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

I'm not knocking you mate, but....
    You dont even know the name of the biggest auction houses in the country. Do you really have the ability to spot a lemon without being able to drive it?
    I've seen a lot of crap bought by private punters in Naas. Even more by so called dealers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭pkumohideeile

thanks dancing priest. it would be my first bought car i'm looking to buy at some stage over the coming months, i'm just looking for information on my question not advice on how to buy the right car for me.
    i've found merlin motors and i've done the google searches, im hoping to get an answer specific to the question i had asked. reposessed cars going cheap, leave it to me to buy something stupid :)

thanks for the comments none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

thanks dancing priest. it would be my first bought car i'm looking to buy at some stage over the coming months, i'm just looking for information on my question not advice on how to buy the right car for me.
    i've found merlin motors and i've done the google searches, im hoping to get an answer specific to the question i had asked. reposessed cars going cheap, leave it to me to buy something stupid :)

thanks for the comments none the less.

Well, to prove that you dont know what your talking about in a different way, you wont get anything cheaper than a dealer or a private sale at auction.

There are no bargains to be had, in some cases cars go for a lot more than the normal retail value.

Buy from a dealer, or in private sale. Especially as its your first car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭pkumohideeile

ok thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

I was talking to a guy randomly in some Wicklow forest carpark
    thanks.

:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

sorry could'nt resist. As said already merlins is the place to go, you will get a bargain at an auction, if you go to merlins during the day the lads will give you the keys so you can start the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭oxegen85

what car you looking for as your first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

By the look of his other posts in this thread, something to get him home perhaps?

apollo13.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Merlin Car Auctions in Nass, second exit heading south, over the motorway & Wilsons Auctions near City West

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

I've bought two Transit vans ( 07 + 08 ) from Wilsons Auctions in Dublin and have had no problems with them so far.

There was a bit of a delay in getting the logbook but other than that it was a pleasant experience for an auctioneering virgin! :cool:

BTW, they had a repossessed 04 Audi TT that went for €10,000 a few weeks ago - stupid silly commercial Transits! :D

Advertisement