Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swine Flu vaccine - get it privately?

Options
  • 19-11-2009 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I was wondering if there were any private clinics in Dublin doing swine flu vaccinations? I'm still awaiting a letter that allows me to then make an appt...which means I could be waiting ages. But the biggest turn off is the size and location of the clinic that we'll be refered to. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Quiet Lurker

shamama wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right forum, but I was wondering if there were any private clinics in Dublin doing swine flu vaccinations? I'm still awaiting a letter that allows me to then make an appt...which means I could be waiting ages. But the biggest turn off is the size and location of the clinic that we'll be refered to. Thanks.
    The answer to your question most definitely should be no !!!
    GP's are being given the vaccine free and paid to administer it to at risk patients. If they charge you for it privately they are effectively taking some of that stock for personal gain and at best it is immoral and sharp practice. It should not be allowed and any GP involved in this should be immediately prohibited from receiving any more vaccines. This is a public health issue and everyone should be prepared to put their shoulder to the wheel fairly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The answer to your question most definitely should be no !!!
    GP's are being given the vaccine free and paid to administer it to at risk patients. If they charge you for it privately they are effectively taking some of that stock for personal gain and at best it is immoral and sharp practice. It should not be allowed and any GP involved in this should be immediately prohibited from receiving any more vaccines. This is a public health issue and everyone should be prepared to put their shoulder to the wheel fairly.

Alot of assumptions there Lurker.
    You're assuming the clinic is getting stock from the HSE.
    It can be sourced privately as well so don't add 2+2 and get 9.
    I am not aware of any private clinic giving it.

Also for your information most if not all GP's giving the vaccine will do so at a loss as the fee offered will not cover the cost of arranging clinics, storing vaccine, giving it, doing the excessive admin required by the HSE and disposing of the used sharps and clinical waste.

Advertisement