Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I saw an idiot.

Options
  • 19-11-2009 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

hello there,

yes in this kind of weather with heavy rain and winds not more than an hour ago I saw an idiot on a motorcycle in The village of Clondalkin on a bend driving with one hand and texting on his phone not looking where he was going :eek:

now if you ask me idiots like that deserve to crash or get locked up for being so idiotic.

even while i was walking around i was getting blowing away that i could bearly walk and he came along and did this ! :eek:

its terrible.

thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

skillage in the village!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

he's got sick skillz

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

Maybe the txt was urgent! :pac:

I think its idiotic to go out in this weather on a bike full stop... txting or no txting you're putting yourself at a much greater risk! Get the bus ffs !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Maybe the txt was urgent! :pac:

I think its idiotic to go out in this weather on a bike full stop... txting or no txting you're putting yourself at a much greater risk! Get the bus ffs !

If you can counter steer confidently Which some bikers cant(they counter steer but not in a confident manor, i.e. wouldn't have the confidence to throw the bike around) you'll be fine.

hobochris wrote: »
    If you can counter steer confidently Which some bikers cant(they counter steer but not in a confident manor, i.e. wouldn't have the confidence to throw the bike around) you'll be fine.

I can counter- steer very confidently but still wouldn't risk going out in this on the bike, its even blowing the cars to a side down here in Cork!

Not sure where you are situated but Cork and Kerry has gotten the worst of it, might be a bit milder where you are! And car drivers are even being advised to stay in if they can so imo its fairly crazy to risk on a bike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I can counter- steer very confidently but still wouldn't risk going out in this on the bike, its even blowing the cars to a side down here in Cork!

Not sure where you are situated but Cork and Kerry has gotten the worst of it, might be a bit milder where you are! And car drivers are even being advised to stay in if they can so imo its fairly crazy to risk on a bike!

I was out today, this isn't bad weather. Pretty mild tbh.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭randomway

I feel safer on the bike than in a bus to be honest. Once you are moving, it's not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

robbie_998 wrote: »

thoughts ?
    cooooooooooooooool! only because I was in Clondalkin about the time and didn't notice and would have liked to see.

I admire the ability.

I can do the 1 handed thing (which is not that bad nor is it as dangerous as it may appear), but the using PED's is beyond me at present. I can't even look at the GPS or map in the tank bag pocket while moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

nereid wrote: »
    cooooooooooooooool! only because I was in Clondalkin about the time and didn't notice and would have liked to see.

I admire the ability.

I can do the 1 handed thing (which is not that bad nor is it as dangerous as it may appear), but the using PED's is beyond me at present. I can't even look at the GPS or map in the tank bag pocket while moving.

i dont suppose you saw the idiot that drove down the one way street the wrong way just to cross the road from her apartment just to get to the doctor ?

nutters !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Wossack wrote: »
    skillage in the village!

LOL!

Also, more skillage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K59eMpWsyNE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

hello there,

yes in this kind of weather with heavy rain and winds not more than an hour ago I saw an idiot on a motorcycle in The village of Clondalkin on a bend driving with one hand and texting on his phone not looking where he was going :eek:

now if you ask me idiots like that deserve to crash or get locked up for being so idiotic.

even while i was walking around i was getting blowing away that i could bearly walk and he came along and did this ! :eek:

its terrible.

thoughts ?

Some skill I find it hard to text at the best of time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

How do you know he was texting? He could have been using his SonyEricsson C905 for its Sat-nav function and was trying to find his way OUT of Clondalkin. Perfectly justifiable in my book.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭batman_oh

LOL
    and LOL at the countersteering mythology
    you are doing it whether you realise or not, the bike wont turn if you dont!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Regardless of his skills its wreckless to attempt it in the conditions described.
    Idiot!

EDIT
    Xios wrote: »

Ok thats impressive, still wreckless behaviour but speaking of which did anyone else think the Punto moving in to the video takers lane was dodgey??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

batman_oh wrote: »
    LOL

No **** Sherlock.

The point of what I was saying is if you are able to Consciously counter steer with confidence then a gust of wind won't phase you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

No **** Sherlock.

The point of what I was saying is if you are able to Consciously counter steer with confidence then a gust of wind won't phase you.

Ive come across counter steering before but have not heard of it as a technique for beating a gust of wind. More so for starting a manoeuvre to do a U turn in a narrow road.

Could you explain how it works if a gust comes from say, your right hand side? Are you saying you steer left (in the direction of the wind gust) and then rapidly steer right (into the gust)?

sorry if its a dumb question but Ive always just leaned into the wind when its coming from the sides, never knew counter steering could help you out in that situation.

RATM wrote: »
    sorry if its a dumb question but Ive always just leaned into the wind when its coming from the sides, never knew counter steering could help you out in that situation.

I presume what (s)he meant by counter-steering was more along the lines of applying a very slight amount of pressure to the side on which the wind is coming from, so in your example if the wind is coming from your right, a very slight difference in pressure applied to the right bar will keep you steady.

Personally I don't bother with counter-steering to correct for wind, because I prefer to be relaxed on the bike, and allow it to move slightly to the left and right within my "control space" as opposed to forcing it to stay in a straight line.

One nifty piece of advice that can be applied in this situation (and others) is to slightly twist your upper body so that one shoulder is forward of the other. I use this when overtaking a High sided vehicle to stop being blown around when emerging through the front wind deflector path. You can apply the same theory to a cross wind.

You are effectively adjusting the "sail" of your upper body to minimise wind contact as opposed to in nautical terms maximising wind contact.

Thanks for clearing that up Nereid :)
    nereid wrote: »
    One nifty piece of advice that can be applied in this situation (and others) is to slightly twist your upper body so that one shoulder is forward of the other. I use this when overtaking a High sided vehicle to stop being blown around when emerging through the front wind deflector path. You can apply the same theory to a cross wind.

You are effectively adjusting the "sail" of your upper body to minimise wind contact as opposed to in nautical terms maximising wind contact.

So what you are saying is if passing an artic lorry on a motorway (the lorry is in the slow lane to your left) upon going past his cab you should push your left shoulder slighty forward of your right shoulder to minimise the impact of the cross wind?

Seems intuitive alright and its a good tip. Does it make much of a difference?

I never thought of my body on a bike as a sail for the wind to catch but it does make perfect sense, especially on particulary windy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TripleXXX

hello there,

its terrible.

thoughts ?
    Total idiot, words defy me.

RATM wrote: »
    So what you are saying is if passing an artic lorry on a motorway (the lorry is in the slow lane to your left) upon going past his cab you should push your left shoulder slighty forward of your right shoulder to minimise the impact of the cross wind?

Seems intuitive alright and its a good tip. Does it make much of a difference?

Yup, that is exactly correct. It makes the biggest difference when passing at almost the same speed, because it takes longer to go through the buffeting zone, in which case your body will allow the wind to flow over it rather than blocking it, and pushing you around more.

This can also be applied in the case of cross winds on exposed sections of road. I notice it in particular crossing the estuary bridge on the M1.

At higher speed differential, timing is of the essence.

You can easily try it out anyway and you will get soon enough how much to push whichever shoulder forward of the other.

• Advertisement

Yeah I know that windy bit on the M1- sometimes its even windier further up near the Balbriggan exits, even going under some of the bridges you tend to get a blast of wind on exiting.
    Anyway I'll try that for sure, thanks for the tip :D

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

I can agree with that, where I am there are no protected areas and the wind is either knocking my bike over (A Suzuki Marauder 250) or blowing the tarp off leaving it exposed and it always seems to be happening when it's late and I'm trying to get some sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

batman_oh wrote: »
    LOL
    No **** Sherlock.

Countersteering-I never really understood what that was until I I sat down with the legendary Wilbur Wright*who told me that:

"I have asked dozens of bicycle riders how they turn to the left. I have never found a single person who stated all the facts correctly when first asked. They almost invariably said that to turn to the left, they turned the handlebar to the left and as a result made a turn to the left. But on further questioning them, some would agree that they first turned the handlebar a little to the right, and then as the machine inclined to the left, they turned the handlebar to the left and as a result made the circle, inclining inward."

Thanks Wilbur! -no wonder you conquered gravity wiht your magnificent flying machine...

* Stole from Wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I think its idiotic to go out in this weather on a bike full stop... ...Get the bus ffs !

Nonsense: I'm currently passing through stuff like this to get to work:

97296.JPG

And using this, to do so. Better, safer even, than a car.

Oh, p.s. WTF is a bus ? :confused:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

mad man..!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

galwaytt wrote: »

This is a bus :D :P

galwaytt wrote: »
    Nonsense: I'm currently passing through stuff like this to get to work:

97296.JPG

And using this, to do so. Better, safer even, than a car.

As i said it was much worse down south then up the country so i'm just speaking for my own area , fair enough if you want to speak for yours but dont call it nonsense thinking the whole country is in the same state!

By the way we're not all lucky enough to drive harleys to stick us to the road, some of us have lighter bikes!

... this is a bus genius!

Advertisement