Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus NTL 20mb/s Broadband

Options
  • 19-11-2009 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Does it actually give you a 20mb per second download speed? What type of router do they provide with it? Forgive the lack of knowledge!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

20Mbps is around 2.5MB total download speed. As to if you get it or not, it's impossible to tell - your max speed can change depending on congestion (it gets worse at peak usage hours) but a lot of people also have problems round the clock, depending on where they live. But if you are lucky, you can get your full download speed most of the time (I now usually see speeds around 2.3MB down but on the other hand, when I was living in the city center, it would easily collapse to under 0.5MB quite often).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Ingenuist wrote: »
    Does it actually give you a 20mb per second download speed?
    :D

If it ever does, make sure to take a picture.

No ISP ever gives you the speed that you think you're going to get. It's all sold as 'up to XMb' and the law doesn't seem to mind. Basically they all sell a product that they cannot provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

I have it, and Yes - it certainly does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

If it ever does, make sure to take a picture.

No ISP ever gives you the speed that you think you're going to get. It's all sold as 'up to XMb' and the law doesn't seem to mind. Basically they all sell a product that they cannot provide.
    NTL is not shared its through their own network so loss of speed shouldnt be an issue!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Yes it does. Like others I regularly get around 2.3MB/s down at most times of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Ingenuist wrote: »
    Does it actually give you a 20mb per second download speed? What type of router do they provide with it? Forgive the lack of knowledge!

627299498.png
    627304543.png
    3832365.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Max Power1 wrote: »
    NTL is not shared its through their own network so loss of speed shouldnt be an issue!!

It uses an 8:1 contention ratio (as far as I know)- so providing the other 7 people you are sharing with aren't online- you could potentially get the whole of the 20 mbps (subject to other criteria, such as noise etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

smccarrick wrote: »
    It uses an 8:1 contention ratio (as far as I know)
    That's very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

For me I always get the full speed and yes, the full 20Mbps and sometimes more, which is strange but I'm not complaining.
    Service rarely goes wrong and when it has in the past it's usually been DNS problems (though I use OpenDNS.org anyway).

Only bad thing I have to say about them is that they seem to be messing with speedtest.net results to up their epenis size :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

smccarrick wrote: »
    It uses an 8:1 contention ratio (as far as I know)- so providing the other 7 people you are sharing with aren't online- you could potentially get the whole of the 20 mbps (subject to other criteria, such as noise etc).
    Thanks

I wasnt up on the exact contention ratio but i'm rarely experiecing any loss of speed (although im on a slightly lower package than teh 20mb tbh)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭brosy

Contention ratio is 17:1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Ingenuist

So what type of gear do they provide?

Advertisement