Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator problem

Options
  • 18-11-2009 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi, I got a service done on a gas central heating system a few months ago and the rads haven't been used in that time (it's an apartment so wasn't cold enough previously to use the heat).

There's hot water for the shower and the taps but the radiators aren't heating up. I've bled the radiators too but nothing!

The heating panel seems to be working fine and there's some sounds coming from the boiler behind the fireplace but still no heat in the radiators!

Anyone got any ideas what else I should check for? I would really appreciate any help before calling someone in to 'switch on the button' I missed!.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Some systems have a lever that can turn off the rads and leave the hot water on for summer use. Usually a combination boiler I think, but check this out first maybe that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blue5

Thanks for the reply danjo, any idea where the lever would be located? On the boiler itself behind the fireplace or on a switch beside it? I've had a look at the outside visible parts and nothing stands out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

On the system that I used to have the burner unit was in the kitchen and all the pipes which were under the concrete floor terminated under the stairs, and it was here there was a red handled lever folr switching.

Sorry this was the only system of that type that I am familar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blue5

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭cardol

Hi

I have the same set up. I flick a switch to pull hot water into the rads, otherwise, I ust get hot water only.

But now I have the switch set to "on" to heat the rads, and they make an awful racket 24/7. It's a sort of hissing noise and when the plumber came round, he said I needed a valve fitted to the pump on the boiler. But he also said the hissing was just water going through the system and would in fact keep the rads hot for longer than normal and therefore could be an advantage if I could overlook the noise.

Am I being conned? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement