Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pollution in China

Options
  • 18-11-2009 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭

You might find the attached photos depressing, shocking..... But worth bearing in mind the next time you buy something made in China. Personally I wouldnt buy any food products from there anymore

http://www.chinahush.com/2009/10/21/amazing-pictures-pollution-in-china/

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Shocking stuff alright. Of course there are many other polluted places around the world not just in the facist Chinese state. Personally I buy as few Chinese products as possible and have my unfortunate children indoctrinated with the mantra that China is known for The Great Wall; Pandas and Rubbish - of the manufactured variety! That said we cannot isolate China but their leaders must be dragged screaming and kicking into the '20th century' for starters. This sort of pollution and its appalling consequences for Chinese citizens, not to mention the planet, is mind bending and cannot be allowed to go unchallenged. We all have a part to play and consumers in the west need to cop themselves on and stop buying cheap junk from China. The only people it supports here are fat-cat retailers who are too greedy and lazy to source products made at or nearer to home. I am not talking about Euro stores either!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭SeanW

I saw those pics, it pretty shocking alright :eek: I think it's more or less an established fact that China is an authoritarian sh**hole (in every respect) at the present time.

But going over the pics raised one question: Steel mills. There was one picture of a steel mill dumping liquified industrial waste into a local river, and it got me thinking.

Steel mills seem to be associated with pollution, not just carbon dioxide but contaminents in air and water, and it doesn't seem to be limited to China, thought it's possible that they are the worst.

What exactly is the story with steel milling? Is it that it is not possible to run a clean steel mill, and so they're welcome to run a 'normal' mill in China? Or is it that steel can be made in a clean way but it's just cheaper to run a filthy mill in China?

Advertisement