Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question on site purchase

Options
  • 18-11-2009 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭

hi there everyone

my and my g/f have a house and are looking at buying up a site in the next few months. the plan would be to sell our house in the next few yrs and build then, no rush whatsover. the site has full planning for a 3500 sq foot house,

i was wondering if we bought that site now can we start to build in the future i.e. does the planning last ?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,120 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

mickman wrote: »
    hi there everyone

my and my g/f have a house and are looking at buying up a site in the next few months. the plan would be to sell our house in the next few yrs and build then, no rush whatsover. the site has full planning for a 3500 sq foot house,

i was wondering if we bought that site now can we start to build in the future i.e. does the planning last ?

full planning permission lasts for 5 years

outline planning lasts for 3 years, and, within that 3 year period, you must apply AND be granted, 'permission consequent' which would then last a further 5 years....

remember, just because a site has Full permission now is NO guarantee that it will be granted FPP in the future, if you let the current planning permission lapse....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

thanks for that . and can you start to build just before the planning lapses for example and build away then

as in how would they know that you didnt start to build anyway?? what would the minimum neccessary to do in order to be oficially "building"

• Subscribers Posts: 41,120 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

mickman wrote: »
    thanks for that . and can you start to build just before the planning lapses for example and build away then

as in how would they know that you didnt start to build anyway?? what would the minimum neccessary to do in order to be oficially "building"

:D

youre getting technical at this stage...

You are legally require to submit a 'commencement notice' prior to starting building.. this informs your council that you are building.

Technically, when your planning runs out then you should cease work. However, if you have, at a minimum, the walls complete... you can apply for an extension to the duration of permission to complete your dwelling. You need to be granted this extension of time prior to the permission expiring. You will have to give them a reasonable time period to complete the build ie 6 months on a domestic one off.

These issues become apparent when certifying or 'signing off' the work....

Advertisement