Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyon to Chamonix

Options
  • 18-11-2009 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi,

Is train the only practical way to travel from Lyon to Chamonix. There are only 2 in the party so taxi is out. I've searched for bus travel but can't seem to find anything.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭COUCH WARRIOR

You could look into renting a car. There are links to some rent a car sites in the stickies, might be cheaper than you expect. Be sure you factor in cost of winter tires snow chains etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ditch hurler

a few of us got a ryan air flight into lyon last year and rented a car to argentiere which is the next town up from chamonix. its a long enough trip. about 200km if memory serves correct

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Flan45 wrote: »
    Hi,

Is train the only practical way to travel from Lyon to Chamonix. There are only 2 in the party so taxi is out. I've searched for bus travel but can't seem to find anything.

Thanks

Its about 2.5- 3 hrs drive
    The road is fine all the way- motorway and then dual carriageway so should be clear right into Chamonix
    The only difficulty you'll have is in the town where some of the small streets and car parks are difficult without proper winter tyres or chains

Are you sure there are no bus transfers? Look at the Chamonix tourist website, there should be someone running bus transfers

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Flan45

Thanks WB,

I'll have another look for the buses, I wouldn't mind chancing the driving if it's as straight forward as you say. It would make moving around Chamonix a hell of a lot easier as well.

Advertisement