Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

archaeologial conservation of battlesites

Options
  • 18-11-2009 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

hi all
    i am currently undertaking a masters in environmental resourse management. i am required to write an essay on the reclaimation of battle field sites focusing on site rehab and archaeological/ historical conservation.
    would anyone have any ideas for me or would you know where to get info on this topic as i'm finding it hard to locate material on this subject.

any help at all would be much appreciated

thanks

snowie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

hi snowman

did a bit on battlefield archaeology during my own masters so had ive dug out a few references...

Freeman, P.W.M., & Pollard, A. (eds) 2001. Fields of conflict: progress and prospect in battlefield archaeology. BAR International Series 958. Oxford: Archaeopress.

Pollard, T., & Banks, I. (eds) 2006. Past Tense: studies in the Archaeology of Conflict. Leiden: Brill (= Journal of Conflict Archaeology, 1.1).

Scott, D., Babits, L., and Haecker, C. (eds) 2007. Fields of conflict: battlefield archaeology from the Roman Empire to the Korean War (2 vols). Westport Conn.: Praeger.

•Battle of the Boyne archaeology

Brady, C., E. Byrnes, G. Cooney and A. O’Sullivan, 2007. An archaeological study of the Battle of the Boyne at Oldbridge, Co. Meath. Journal of Conflict Archaeology 3:1, 53–77

Cooney, G., E. Byrnes, C. Brady and A. O’Sullivan. 2002. The archaeology of the battle of the Boyne at Oldbridge, Co. Meath. In Archaeology Ireland 16:4:62 (winter 2002), 8–12

and also: – www.battlefieldstrust.com

you could also look into the Irish Battlefields Project

hope this helps, best a luck with the essay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 snowman87

thanks a million for that ernie. im sure that will be a huge help to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

If I remember correctly I think Kieran O'Conor in the Archaeology Department NUIG did something with this subject (or was on the radio etc). Might have been Prof. Waddell, sorrry I can't remember specifically.

Advertisement