Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying In Australia

Options
  • 18-11-2009 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭

I'd like to go on to 3rd level in Australia, but I know pretty much nothing concerning how I'd go about it. Anybody know anything or what I should be doing to achieve this, preferably Melbourne, if anyone has any experience. Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

All you'd need is a student visa, but its crazy expensive

Fees alone in a cheap college would be about 6/7k euro, depending on the course
    then add on living expenses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ciaran102

Hey,

You have to first figure out what course you want to do, then see what colleges have that course, figure out maybe 3 unis which you would attend be it in melbourne or wherever, then apply directly to the universities, you can do this online with most unis, it will cost you c.$50-100, per application, the uni will look for certified copies of educational results which you will need to send in the post. They will then review your application and either accept or decline you, acceptance shouldn't be a problem if your results are good. They will then send you a a letter of acceptance, when you accept the offer, you can then apply for a visa which will take about a month to get. However, the costs aren't cheap you should check how much your course is on the unis website, you may have to pay a certain amount before you leave.

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭RebelGirrrl

Is it even possible to study outside Ireland at undergrad level or do you need real money to study anywhere? Is that upfront fees or is the a student loan scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Is it even possible to study outside Ireland at undergrad level or do you need real money to study anywhere? Is that upfront fees or is the a student loan scheme?
    Studying outside Ireland is indeed possible, straightforward and fairly cheap within the EU but will be extremely expensive for places like Australia and the US. NZ is cheaper IIRC.

AFAIK, Australia relies on a student loan scheme (they were mentioned as a model for an Irish fees system) but I'd say it's tough to get on if you're not an Australian citizen (going by the US loan schemes requiring a citizen/permanent resident co-signer.)

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

The Australian governments program for fees is called "Study Assist" but they wont fund international students fees.

Each university has its own list of scholarship programs but all i can find is funding for masters/phd research degrees.

• Advertisement
Advertisement