Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blueray & HDMI

Options
  • 18-11-2009 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Thinking of buying myself my first blueray player as a crimbo pressie this year. One question though!.....

I supply A/V to one of my TV's using a HDMI/CAT5 active balun. This works fine with everything except my existing DVD player as the DVD player puts out a 1.3 compliant signal (eg: audio on a separate channel).

For xbox and sky (and others), it works fine as the extra foreground 1.3 channel for audio is not present, it is just all merged into one audio track.

My assumption is that if I get my new blueray player, it will suffer the same fate? Just wanted to check if this is other peoples understanding and/or if such a thing exists to blend the foreground track with the background and have the player put out a 1.2 signal rather than a 1.3!

Hope this makes sense!
    Cheers,
    Jab

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

jabaroon wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Thinking of buying myself my first blueray player as a crimbo pressie this year. One question though!.....

I supply A/V to one of my TV's using a HDMI/CAT5 active balun. This works fine with everything except my existing DVD player as the DVD player puts out a 1.3 compliant signal (eg: audio on a separate channel).

For xbox and sky (and others), it works fine as the extra foreground 1.3 channel for audio is not present, it is just all merged into one audio track.

My assumption is that if I get my new blueray player, it will suffer the same fate? Just wanted to check if this is other peoples understanding and/or if such a thing exists to blend the foreground track with the background and have the player put out a 1.2 signal rather than a 1.3!

Hope this makes sense!
    Cheers,
    Jab

Well yes and no. (LOL)
    If your using the single cat 5 balun then ,YES , your imminent Bluray will suffer the same way because its a minimum 1.3a connection.
    However if you got an A/V amp, connected the AV sources to it, then all it needs is the picture out and no problems.
    A double cat 5e / cat 6 balun would allow you to pass through sound and video but you would need another cable from source to panel

>Sol

Advertisement