Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

high esb bills

Options
  • 17-11-2009 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

just want to ask what is your lots average bi monthly bill working out at?? i moved to a house with a friend and his girlfriend and as i always rented i never got stupidly high bills. On average we were getting a bi monthly bill for a year of near 100 euro and as i only stay there every second night i thought 50 euro god i'm very eco friendly. Then we got the real bill at the end of the year for 1600 now in gods name how can that be. The reading is correct, from the meter. when everything is plugged out the meter is stopped and we dont run storage heaters or hot water tanks just for tv lights computer washing machine that sort of thing. Could anyone tell me on average is this correct?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The meter reading is now right, but was it estimated at the start? When you say €1600, thats for 12months? Thats €133 a month which would be higher than average. Can i ask why you refer to the year and not the bi-monthly bills? I understand your might be looking at the total average, but did you not notice the high bills earlier in the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Did you guys submit a start reading when you moved in? Most common mistake there is in the case of estimated reads following on.

Is the meter in or outside? I assume indoors, although some meter readers are dropping the ball at times.

If the adjusted bill is 1600, that's a fair whack, and you may want to talk to your supplier and work out a payment plan.

The average bill would be a hundred or so for a house your size, I imagine. Even though we're fairly eco friendly here, ours is €120, but it's a bigger property, and there are kids...

It could be Airtricity or another supplier Dave, I read here that they issue an adjusted bill at the end of the year, which to me is going to result in sore heads for many 12 months down the line :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark_lord_ire

When i changed the bill into my name i have a reading that was sept 08 after that each bill was estimate till sept 09. Funny thing is we all work shifts and not really around during the day. Worked out a payment plan with the esb just over 500 each between us over 2 years but i'll probably pay my side off in the next few weeks. As its stands for the others they dont earn as much so would find it hard to pay off in one go.

Question can i move to another supplier and keep the payment plan with the ESB or would they require that i pay it all off before moving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

What may have happened is that the house may have been vacant for a while before your occupancy, or the consumption may have been lower, skewing the estimates.

So you basically were undercharged by the 1600 quid over a year? IOW, you were paying the hundred each bill, i.e 600 to date, and are still left with a shortfall of 1600, now that they have an actual read as of Sept? So, 2200 in total? That's still very high in terms of consumption, 350 a bill or so.

Anyway, you need to talk to the supplier on this, but none of the others will take you on with an outstanding balance like that. If your consumption is that large anyway, you really need to examine that first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Hi ,sorry for bumping this thread ,but I've just got a higher bill myself.

I live in a two bed apartment with gas heating ,electric oven ,plasma tv ,washing machine.
    My bill was always 65-70 euro every two months ,now suddenly it's €148

Any suggestions on what to look out for ,would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Previous bill estimated would be the first thing?
    Other things like leaving immersions on are costly.

Davy wrote: »
    Previous bill estimated would be the first thing?
    Other things like leaving immersions on are costly.

Cheers dave ,I'll check the last bill if I can find it.
    I think I left the immersion on once for a couple of days(forgot to time the gas) ,I always use the gas to heat the water.

Thanks.

You should consider using the account online function esb have. Keeps track of all the bills and usage details for you. And you can enter a correct reading each time the bill is due so it is never estimated.

https://youraccountonline.esb.ie/ebilling/public/frameset_top_html.jsp

Cheers davy ,I logged onto esb.ie and it shows that I've been charged for units used.
    It's shown my usage more than doubled ,considering the apartment I live in has inbuilt appliances and nothing has changed. It's baffling that my usage could have doubled.

Last bill I got was not an estimate and was paid in full.:(

Advertisement