Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lethal pothole: Rathfarnham Rd. + Springfield Ave. Junction, Dublin

Options
  • 17-11-2009 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

If anyone uses the Rathfarnham road after Terenure, going downhill - beware the manhole cover with a large pothole beside it.

It's on the downhill and could swallow your front wheel. You wouldn't see it in the dark. It's right down to the bedrock of the road.

Map: http://url.ie/27xz

I've mailed Dublin South County Council on it today.
    I encourage you to follow them up too with an email. It's lethal.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Funny you should mention this.

I have been out the terenure direction from Dundrum a few times on boards spins and with Orwell. However, I had to cycle to a friend's place in terenure the other night and decided (stupidly) to take the cycle track.

My God, I thought the N11 was bad but this one was absolutely lethal. There was one section along upper churchtown road, no visibility, where there was not a pothole, but a crater in the track. It's also at a slight angle so your front wheel will be making an angle to the rest of the bike. I saw it at the last second but it is a death trap.

Then when I got to Springfield avenue it reverts to the "footpath with paint" to separate cyclists from pedestrians. Needless to say, late at night the pedos were out in black and one couple were happily strolling along the cycle path.

Never, ever use it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Cars also like to park in it. It is bad, the only redeeming feature compared to the N11 is that it is flat while the bad bits of the N11 tend to be downhill.

Nutgrove avenue and Templeogue village are other classics in that general area.

I would never use an off-road cycle track I just came across, I would have to spend some time getting to know it first. Sure you don't know what might happen at any point or how or where it might end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    My God, I thought the N11 was bad but this one was absolutely lethal. There was one section along upper churchtown road, no visibility, where there was not a pothole, but a crater in the track. It's also at a slight angle so your front wheel will be making an angle to the rest of the bike. I saw it at the last second but it is a death trap.

Pity it didn't benefit from the 700000 Euro DCC have spent on cycle lanes lately.
    A total of €700,000 has been spent on repairs to cycle lanes in the past three months and work is expected to start on the canal cycle routes in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

sorry didnt notice it on me suv:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I wish they'd spend 700k on removing most of them.

I think it's good advice not to use an off-road one until you get used to it, or see a compelling reason to use it.

The ones in Churchtown allow you to bypass pinch points created by islands in the middle of the road, but place you in the path of cars emerging from driveways. An obvious solution would be to get rid of the islands and the cycle tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

mockler007 wrote: »
    sorry didnt notice it on me suv:D
    Well it is a fair point that you generally do need an off-road bike to use off-road cycle tracks in this city, cyclocross at a minimum I reckon.

Advertisement