Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp penetrating wall, is dry lining a solution?

Options
  • 17-11-2009 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭

There is a room in my mothers house where there is some serious damp penetration in the corner on the wall. The house is a standard 300mm cavity wall, blocks inside bricks outside.

She has said she want to get the inner wall dry lined as a solution, what I want to know is, if the damp is coming through the cavity, isn't this just going to hide the real problem, behind the dry lining?

Or is it possible, that the insulation is insufficient and we just have a collection of damp on the inside of the wall, the room isn't slept in, so I think the problem is coming from outside.

Can someone tell me if the dry lining is worth it, or not the proper solution?

Thanks.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,121 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

any chance of a picture?

you are correct to say that dry-lining would only hide the problem, not resolve it. It could be formed by rising damp from the ground, moisture penetration from the external, whether wind driven or not, or it could be condensation issues as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I'm not going to be round there to get a picture unfortunately.

The room is cold so condensation may be the issue, but I remember the damp starting in one corner, is that how it would start from internal condensation?

But as it started in one corner, I wonder if there is just damp penetrating through the wall from the cavity.

Basically, if condensation damp starts in corners, I'd say thats it, if not, it came from a particular spot outside.

Edit: There is the end of a lintel at the corner which is behind the wall and leaves a bone dry patch, is this indicative of internal or external damp penetration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

The room is cold so condensation may be the issue,

A cold unused room - window probably rarely opened . Any building will suffer condensation under this circumstance.

See that the room is aired for 20 mins daily . And leave the rad on . Invest in a TRV ( thermostatic rad valve ) to allow a low setting .

Advertisement